Backing-up to CD-R - wasted space

IbanezRX 10:08 05 Jun 2004

why is it when i copied 1 track of music from my pc to a cd-r disc does it not allow me to copy further tracks later, when there is plenty of room left on the disc? This seems a totol waste of e cd. Is there no way round this?

jack 10:15 05 Jun 2004

check that your Burning programs is set to 'Open'

at the moent it looks as if it is set to 'closed'
ie. 1 burn and then closed off.

Stuartli 10:17 05 Jun 2004

...the CD-R in multisession mode until it is full, then Finalise.

Pearly Gates |X|X| 10:39 05 Jun 2004

Hello - Burning 1 track at a time is very wasteful anyway as everytime you create a part of a multisession burn the prog has to write a lead in and lead out which devours disc space. If you can prepare a compilation before burning you will be able to use less multisession sessions and store more tracks.

Stuartli 10:45 05 Jun 2004

But nowhere near as wasteful as only burning one track at a time....

What you say is true but with 700MB to go at (less disk information requirements) it's hardly enough to worry about.

Stuartli 10:47 05 Jun 2004

I mean, of course, not as wasteful as one track per disk - burning as much as possible on each multisession input is sensible.

Eric10 10:48 05 Jun 2004

It all depends on how you are wanting to play your finished CD. If it's to play on your PC then create the CD as a Data disc and do not Close/Finalise until the CD is full. This will create a multi-session CD so take note of the comments above. If you are wanting to play the CD on your Hi-Fi system then you will need to save the tracks on your hard drive until you have enough to fill the CD and then burn as a Music/Audio CD. This doen't allow leaving the track Open because burning for Hi-Fi systems has to be done in a single session because the players don't understand multi-session. This situation may have changed for the latest Hi-Fi systems that play MP3s etc. but since I don't have one of these I can't comment on them.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone