Backing up C drive to dvd

seventiesdolly 11:37 30 Sep 2006

I wanted to back up my entire C drive to dvd using acronis, as it said you can back up directly to discs without using 3rd party software, but nowhere in the program does it mention how to do this - it only tells you how to back up to another location on your pc. Therefore I have made a back up to my D drive, but what do I do now? The back up is just over 5gb, and as a dvd disc is 4.7gb what do I do?
Thanks for any help - nothing ever seems simple...

rodriguez 11:43 30 Sep 2006

Right click the backup and in the menu that pops up, go on Send To, then click on Compressed (zipped) folder. It should then make a .zip which is a bit smaller than the orignal and should fit on the DVD. To open it up, just click it and your backup file will be inside the folder and you can then drag it back out to restore it.

Diodorus Siculus 11:52 30 Sep 2006

If you go into Acronis help section, you will see

backup

backup options

archive splitting

that will tell you how to split the archive

David4637 13:11 30 Sep 2006

You have backed up the C: drive image to your D: using Acronis. NOW use a DVD burning S/W (Nero or like) to burn that image to your DVD. I do this ONCE PER MONTH. David

David4637 13:15 30 Sep 2006

I should have said that providing you only have XP on the C: and all the data on the D: then you should find Acronis has compressed your OS (XP) to LESS THAN 4GB, which will go on a DVD. David

seventiesdolly 15:36 30 Sep 2006

Thanks once again for all your help - much obliged! :-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

HP’s new Surface Pro rival is designed specifically for Adobe-using designers and artists

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?