Backing up bookmarks in Firefox 3.03

FatboySlim71 07:47 04 Oct 2008

I had previously used the organize bookmarks/import & backup option in Firefox in which it created a JSON file, I did this on my PC thinking that if I needed to restore my bookmarks I could just copy this file to the correct place to then restore all my bookmarks, however we have just got a laptop and I wanted to basically transfer all my bookmarks from this JSON file on to our laptop, but when I try to restore using this file with the organize bookmarks/import & backup option and choose the restore option, it says that it is unable to process it (or words to that affect).

I wondered if there is a way of backing up Firefox 3 bookmarks so that I can basically just copy this file to the correct place and then have all my previous bookmarks that I had on my PC. Or is there some program that would allow me to do this?

I cannot believe that Firefox doesn't have a way of backing up the bookmarks, surely it must have a feature on it that would allow this?

sanchoPanza 07:53 04 Oct 2008

while your waiting for answer,foxmarks is good and you can access your bookmarks from any pc.
click here

FatboySlim71 07:56 04 Oct 2008

Thanks for the help sanchoPanza I'll give it a try.

sanchoPanza 08:17 04 Oct 2008

click here
worked for me.

FatboySlim71 08:40 04 Oct 2008

Thanks sanchoPanza but when I manually created a backup, the JSON file it created couldn't be restored when I tried to restore it using the organize bookmarks/import & backup/restore option.

It seems from the link that the method described in the link is OK for restoring a deleted or lost bookmark.

FatboySlim71 08:44 04 Oct 2008

I've just setup the Foxmarks program, it seems a good program, the test will be though if I lose some bookmarks and then try to restore these using Foxmarks and basically seeing if it restores the lost bookmark/s. Have you had any experience with this sanchoPanza and if so what was the outcome?

Woolwell 12:42 04 Oct 2008

Have you tried exporting the bookmarks as an html file and then importing the file? This should work.

FatboySlim71 12:51 04 Oct 2008

Thanks for all the suggestions, I will bookmark this page for future reference.

I really appreciate the help I have been given by everyone. Thanks very much.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?