Backing up all my drivers

Daiol 18:57 09 Oct 2008

Hi,Been looking around the internet and came accross a free little prog for backing up all my drivers i,m running windows xp pro it is called 'driver max',just wondering if anyone has any info on it will it be safe to export all my drivers onto a cd for easy backup purposes ??.Thanks daiol.

Pineman100 19:02 09 Oct 2008

Yes, I've used it. Worked a treat.

VoG II 19:03 09 Oct 2008

This is the one I use - Double Driver click here and it works well.

I haven't tried driver max.

rawprawn 19:04 09 Oct 2008

Driver Max is safe, I run it in Vista. Be careful though it may be that not all drivers it suggests will update. I have three that fail each time I try, but it does warn you.

Stuartli 19:52 09 Oct 2008

Another possibility:

click here

Totally-braindead 19:55 09 Oct 2008

Nothing against any of the programs suggested but I personally prefer to download the drivers from the relevant website direct and burn them onto disk.

Daiol 11:20 11 Oct 2008

Well thanx all for your support,i had a go with 'driver max' and seemed okay did a backup to a cd okay,thanks all once again.daiol

Halmer 11:50 11 Oct 2008

I have just used VOG's Double Driver. Easy to use and free.

FatboySlim71 17:30 11 Oct 2008

My advice would be to purchase Acronis True Image, this will not only backup your drivers but it will backup your system as an exact mirror image of what your system is at the time of backup.

With Acronis you just create a rescue cd and then if the worst happens and your computer won't load at all, you just boot off of the rescue cd and you will have your computer back up and running in an hour or so.

For around £50-£70, you would be able to get Acronis and an external hard drive to backup to, but you can also backup to CD/DVD if you wished. Acronis True Image costs around £25 and is well worth the money.

Acronis is one of the best programs I have purchased and it has saved me a few times.

Pineman100 17:36 11 Oct 2008

I agree that, as a protection against a catastrophic system failure, ATI is essential. But it's not a magic bullet against all ills.

For example, if you simply want to wipe your drive clean and start again with a fresh installation of Windows, it's better to have your device drivers all neatly stored on a single CD.

So both solutions have their place.

FatboySlim71 22:45 11 Oct 2008

I agree.

I know when I first got my system I took a full backup on the day I got it, so that basically everything was fresh and if needs be sometime I can return it to an has new state that I received my system in.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Comment afficher des fichiers cachés sur Mac ?