Backing up.

wolfie3000 23:54 05 Jul 2007

My routine for backing up all my stuff on my pc is,

Copy, paste mydocuments folder to my external hard drive.

Trouble is this takes hours,

I have a 500GB harddrive and a 150GB external harddrive.

Win XP SP2

is there any way i can backup my stuff without having to go through copy and pasting to my external hard drive?

Also make it that the backup is readable, say for moving the files to another pc in the future?

Stuartli 23:56 05 Jul 2007

I use Norton Ghost 2003 - it took about 30 minutes to do a full backup this afternoon.

Kate B 23:57 05 Jul 2007

Whenever I add data to my PC's internal HDD I copy it to the external HDDs that provide my backup. There's software that will do all that but to be honest I'd rather just do it myself - I always remember, it's just part of the routine for me.

wolfie3000 00:01 06 Jul 2007

The trouble with moving files when there changed is that i have over 140 save games for different games and i can get a little confused as to which ones have been changed and which ones are already backed up.

The reason for so many save games is that i offer a service to friends, if they get stuck on a part of a game they send me there save game and i get them past where there stuck.

So any good programs for backing up?

brundle 01:21 06 Jul 2007

Cobian - click here
SyncBack - click here
WinBackup - click here
EZBackitup - click here
Karen's Replicator - click here

wee eddie 08:44 06 Jul 2007

back-ups is:

The file that is retained is always the latest copy. If you use an external drive, the old copy is replaced with the latest change allowing you no way of accessing the previous copy if a mistake was made.

wee eddie 08:49 06 Jul 2007

I use an incremental back-up on one drive, using Dantz Retrospect. On my second drive, built with the HDD from my last PC, I use the "Send to" function for the whole of the My Docs folder, once a month.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?