Background Programme - ? Virus?

Prancer 21:56 18 Aug 2003

I run Windows 98SE with MS Office and a number of other applications. I have recently found that while typing in Word or using any application the active window header greys and my typing is stopped (it has happened 3 times while I have been typing this!). On clicking in the window again I can resume but this happens every 10-20 seconds. I run the AVG 6.0 anti-virus and update it every week. It has not shown anything. I have tried running msconfig and unselecting all those programmes on the startup tab which I do not seem to need - no change. I have found one programme called "starter.exe", which appears to be in the WINNINT file on the J drive (I have win2K Pro on it but seldom use it)and have deselected this file twice but it always comes back as selected.
Do I have a virus or some other programme which is interfering with my normal programmes?

.dave 21:58 18 Aug 2003

When you notice that your curretn window has "greyed out" hit Alt and Tabs this will show what is taking over.

Sort of

Peverelli 22:13 18 Aug 2003

Do you have Ensonic mixer? Maybe this page will help. click here

JoeC 09:30 19 Aug 2003
  Prancer 11:06 10 Dec 2003

I have tried the suggestions above, but it still happens. Any other ideas?

cycoze 19:24 10 Dec 2003

1.how much memory has your machine got ? have you tried running disc clean up , empty your temp folders etc ? run defrag etc.

2.If you have either ENSONIQ or CREATIVE audio cards , this is a good chance where your starter.exe comes from as suggested by Peverelli , have a look click here for info on disabling.

Gaz 25 23:05 10 Dec 2003

Just to be sure: click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?