Background noise in FM headphones

terendak_uk 20:51 06 Mar 2006

Be grateful for comments/advice:
I bought a pair of Panasonic RP-WF930T Wireless H'phones in an attempt to avoid complaints from rest of family ( PC work and music go VERY well together!). Trouble is, I can hear "the sea" in the background, no matter which of the 3 channels I try. Have moved the system all over the room, to no avail. Have no other wireless stuff ( OK, I use 11g but I turned it off to check- no mobiles on either). There's no "whine", whistles" nor "interference"...just this continuous "shhhhhhhhhh" in the background, when the music's not playing. Is that "normal"? Or should I expect to hear nothing, when the music's not playing? XP latest OS and Creative PlatLive PCI S'card..plays fine with 5.1 speakers, no "shhhhhh" when no music playing.
Thnaks,
Carl

hzhzhz 23:01 06 Mar 2006

Many wireless phones are the same including my Philips pair. I do find it helps to turn the source volume high in order to have the phone volume quite low.

hzhzhz 23:09 06 Mar 2006

" in order to have the phone volume quite low".

Headphone volume that is.

terendak_uk 08:47 07 Mar 2006

Is that the noise yours makes? ;-)

I will try your suggestion. Very diappointed that there should be this "inherent" noise ( you seem to infer that it is in fact inherent?). It's not there on a well-tuned FM radio, if it's logical to draw the comparison. Not my area of expertise......be grateful for anyone's expert explanations re this.
NB a friend has an IR pair and tells me he has no b'ground noise ( could be he's just used to it, of course)
Thanks

Mikè 11:37 07 Mar 2006

Try using the headphones with something other than the PC, this will prove where the problem lies.

terendak_uk 11:53 07 Mar 2006

Thanks

Stuartli 13:04 07 Mar 2006

It sounds (no pun intended) as if the transmission of the signal to the headphones is not strong enough.

terendak_uk 13:25 07 Mar 2006

...it does tho.....I have heard this sound before: due to attenuation of the signal, I believe? However, it's fully charged and it sits about two feet in front of me, on the CRT ( yes, I still have one of those!). I have moved away up to ten feet, in Line of sight,with no change.
Thanks for suggestion
Perplexed, soon to be apoplexed!

Stuartli 13:38 07 Mar 2006

Attenuation means that the signal strength has been reduced...:-)

It's normally applied if, for instance, a TV signal is too strong.

terendak_uk 15:24 07 Mar 2006

I will "experiment" some more tonight

Koochy 16:18 07 Mar 2006

It may help if you move the transmitter away from your crt as they can play havvock with wireless devices i couldn't use use my wireless keyboard/mouse if the base unit to close to the crt.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?