Background Guard vs Resident Shield

birdface 10:45 29 Dec 2008

Hi just wondering if it was Ok to run both A Squared Background Guard and AVG Resident Shield at the same time.As both do the same sort of job would it be advisable to turn one of them of and if so what one.It is slowing down my computer a lot as both are using up a lot of the CPU every time I open a new page,Also Kerio Firewall is doing the same so I have the 3 of them using up between 40% and 100% of the CPU every time a new page is opened.I know that they are only doing the job that they were meant to do.I have recently upgraded the Memory from 512Mg to 2 Gb.It is a little faster opening pages but not as fast as it used to be years ago.Using A Squared paid for version.Only 4 start up programs in msconfig and have no music or video's downloaded.wondering a bit here.The question is keep both or turn one off.

Bapou 18:12 29 Dec 2008

Don't know about A2 and Kerio Firewall but AVG's Resident Shield I found was really slowing everything down.

Opening folders in My Documents took an age as AV scanned. Switching it off, certainly when working offline, worked wonders.

This was one of the reasons why I changed to Avast AV, much less instrusive and does not hog resources.

birdface 18:28 29 Dec 2008

Thanks.I know AVG Resident Shield slows things down a lot.I had it disabled before and kept getting Rogue Anti- Spyware programs trying to download,So I had to turn it on again.I did the same with A squared and had to turn that on again as well.But not sure if I need the 2 of them running.Avg was all right when it was the 7.5 version.I suppose the only way to find out is to turn one of them off.But I will wait and see if anyone else may have had the same sort of problem.

birdface 10:21 31 Dec 2008

Ok.I have decided to keep both running as they are programmed to find different problems I suppose.Better safe than sorry.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?