Backdoor.Graybird.GEN repeat attacks

Brumas 19:51 21 Aug 2006

For the last three nights, around the same sort of time (between 19:00 and 19:30), Spyware Doctor informs me that it has stopped Backdoor.Graybird.GEN and requires a second scan in safe mode to remove it. I duly comply and Spyware Doctor finds nothing and on restarting the computer it kicks in again and does another full system scan and again finds nothing.

I am running Windows XP Media Centre Edition on BT Broadband with a BT Voyager 210 ADSL router (which is always on) behind a Comodo Firewall.
I have NOD32 which is up to date and I regularly scan with A-Squared and Ad-Aware and my Windows update are up to date.

What, if anything, can I do to prevent further attacks? Please keep the answers simple :o)

Jak_1 20:07 21 Aug 2006

Disable system restore and then run the scan preferably in safe mode. Re-boot in normal mode once complete and re-activate system restore.

GANDALF <|:-)> 20:59 21 Aug 2006

click here for manual removal instructions

G

Brumas 23:32 21 Aug 2006

Jak_1 Thanks, have done so and will monitor the situation.
GANDALF <|:-)> could not find Svch0st.exe. in the list, does that mean I am now in the clear?

Cheers... brumas

Brumas 17:33 22 Aug 2006

The same problem/scenario has returned even after following the proffered advice.

I do not visit any 'dodgy' sites, neither do I download any music or videos ; all I do is use the official eBay site and this one and sites such as the Army Catering Corps official site etc.

Isn't there any foolproof way that I can prevent this trojan from constantly infiltrating my computer? It really is annoying and upsetting my wife and it is not making me too happy also.

rawprawn 17:36 22 Aug 2006

Try this online scan
click here

Brumas 20:26 22 Aug 2006

Spyware Doctor has no problem detecting and removing the trojan - what I need to know is how to PREVENT it accessing my system, four times up to now!!
I ran your link which told me what I knew already, after Spyware Doctor had done the business, that the Trojan isn't on my system.

With respect, I need a link to something that will PREVENT it constantly happening.

brundle 20:29 22 Aug 2006

Perhaps the authors of Spyware Doctor would be able to shed some light click here

Brumas 17:57 23 Aug 2006

I think I have solved the problem by reverting back to my old 'set-up'. I uninstalled Spyware Doctor and went back to trusty old Zone Alarm firewal and, so far so good - no more nasties!Usual daily scans with A-Squared or SpyBotare revealing nothing - thankfully.
I thought that the free Comodo firewall on this month's cover-disk sounded good having read some reviews - but I should have remembered the old adage "If it's not broke, don't fix it"

Thanks for all the constructive responses.

Brumas

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?