back up and synchronise - how to do it?

StephenRogers 23:45 26 Nov 2006

I've got a PC with a hard drive, a laptop with a hard drive, and a memory stick. I'm using XP home

I tend to copy a folder from one drive to another, open a document, work on it and save it, then forget where the most up to date version is.

I have an external hard drive that i want to use to back up onto.

Is there software that will copy from one location to another, but only if the source location has been changed more recently than the destination location?

Gandalph 01:46 27 Nov 2006

Try Briefcase. Right click on a blank part of your desktop then click on New. Point to Briefcase to create a desktop file. Left click on the Briefcase Icon and it will give the instructions for using Files etc,.

skeletal 09:23 27 Nov 2006

A more up to date piece of Microsoft software has replaced briefcase:
click here

However, one word of advice: be VERY careful if you use Microsoft Access on your two machines. For some reason, which I have never fully got to the bottom of, it once deleted the most up to date version and kept the older.

I think it is because, if you use a database, you don’t actually “save” anything (unlike all other software where, when you have finished, you have the option of saving or quitting without saving).

Part of how it works, I think, is by looking at the saved times, thus if you happen to glance at an old version on your laptop a few seconds after closing down hours of work on your main PC, the laptop is the more recent.

Other than that, I use it all the time and find it incredibly useful.

Skeletal

StephenRogers 15:32 27 Nov 2006

I'll try syncToy first as i don't use Access much

StephenRogers 21:01 07 Dec 2006

I've now used synctoy a few times - seems simple and reliable

daveh01 08:55 08 Dec 2006

I haven't used synctoy, but a couple of years ago when I was looking for a utility to keep the files on my laptop and desktop synchronised I investigated a number of shareware alternatives to briefcase and came across SysSync, which I would recommend trying.

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans échec ?