back to Outlook Express

Dasmad 10:47 09 Aug 2010

I've tried Thunderbird and others and I want to return to OE.......is there any way round the standard import routine in OE which will allow me to bring in emails from folders in Thunderbird ?

[email protected] 11:08 09 Aug 2010

Like Dasmad I want Outlook Express back as nothing compares with it. Is it possible, with Windows 7, to download OE from somewhere?

Chris_Byers 11:24 09 Aug 2010

No. Since Vista you now have to use Windows Live Mail (part of The Live Essentials suite of apps) from here: click here
Live mail is based on OE, and has several new features such as integrated calendar and all are free to download.
If you really want to use OE then the only way to do it would to be to run if from a virtual machine on XP. If you dont have Windows 7 Ultimate or Professional I would suggest you use Oracles free VirtualBox virtualisation package to do it from: click here

Chris_Byers 11:26 09 Aug 2010

For the OP. Yes you can, but don't expect it to keep messages as you left them. Follow the instructions here: click here

Dasmad 15:23 10 Aug 2010

thanks Chris - that looks like the bizness I need - and all my hassle, albeit partly my error, because microsoft can't leave a good piece of software and its contented consumers alone !

Woolwell 16:10 10 Aug 2010

Or click here
But watch the security aspects of it and make sure your anti-virus works.

Woolwell 16:10 10 Aug 2010

BTW what was wrong with Windows Live Mail?

Dasmad 21:02 10 Aug 2010

hello again Woolwell...........thanks for that link too.
Frankly I've never been a fan of web-based mail systems with links to everywhere, and Hotmail in particular, so for me the fact that Live Mail is so intimately associated with Hotmail "sharing address books" etc. makes it a bit of a no-no. a nice quiet home-based email that does what you want with no fuss and no frills, and neater structural integrity than anything else I've seen makes OE unbeatable. so I'll stick with OE on the old laptop and probably use T'bird on the new notebook, or perhaps T'bird Portable.

john bunyan 21:11 10 Aug 2010

With W7 I am using Office Outlook 2007 - seems as good as OE.

Woolwell 21:23 10 Aug 2010

Windows Live Mail is not Live Hotmail. They are completely different albeit similarly named. Windows Live Mail is not webmail, is not web based and replaces OE and Windows Mail. It is a program that lives on your system.

kristain 09:11 11 Aug 2010

click here and follow all steps then you are done what you need.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?