Back up increasing in size.

User-6355CE8D-1E97-4543-833893AA7598EA5F 11:18 10 Nov 2010

I use Norton Ghost to back up my c drive but it is getting to a massive size now, last one was 12gb but it should be nowhere near that.
I have looked into c to see where the 12gb is coming from but when I hover over each folder in c none of them make it anywhere near 12gb.

mgmcc 12:09 10 Nov 2010

"System Restore" could be eating up your hard drive real estate!

As you have Ghost backups, disable System Restore (which will delete all previous restore points) and then enable it again. You should then have just a single restore point and have recovered a substantial amount of disk space.

"Ccleaner" click here also has the facility to delete all but the last System Restore point.

Sorry should have said I did delete restore points as I also thought that could have been a cause.. Will give Cccleaner a try,thanks..

Tried Ccleaner,didn't make any difference.
Any other ideas?

GaT7 12:20 12 Nov 2010

Which OS & antivirus please?

Do you have hibernation enabled & is the related file being backed-up? NG shouldn't be backing this up, but it may be doing so.

What's the size of your page file & is this being backed-up? Again NG shouldn't be backing it up by default.

In order to see the above 2 files you'll need to enable the setting to view hidden/system/protected files in Folder Options.

If you're using Vista/7 another thing that could be hogging space are the Shadow Copies click here.

There are a few other things you could check, but may depend on the OS &/or antivirus. G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?