Back up disk on NETBOOK

Madrat 00:27 18 Jan 2010

HI,

I have an acer netbook (no optical devices) but need to make back up disc's for XP and drivers, the back up program will not let me copy in info onto a USB stick, it just says "no optical device detected" and wont let me go any further. Is there a way round this? I wanted to but the data on memory stick or external HD and then burn it to disk via my Desktop. Netbook is an ACER aspire 1 running XP.

mgmcc 09:04 18 Jan 2010

Bit of a "long shot" but does it let you use a "shared" optical drive on a networked PC?

Use the facility to "Map a Network Drive" to create a drive letter for the remote optical drive.

Otherwise, I suspect you're going to have to plug an external USB CD/DVD writer directly into the Netbook.

scotty 09:19 18 Jan 2010

As an alternative to creating XP backup discs, you could create an image of the harddrive. There are various ways to do this but I like this free option which was originally developed for the Aspire One but can be used on any pc (Windows or Linux) - click here

Madrat 14:16 18 Jan 2010

I will give the secon one a try, thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?