Back up on disc help please

Jade 14 G 11:06 20 Feb 2006

I need very badly to back up some data but sonic will do everything but burn, l drag and drop them but burn is greyed out, maybe am doing it wrong but its worked before but have tried for a weekthis time.
If it won't work is there a free or low price software that will do it for me as need to get this stuff saved.
Jade

rawprawn 11:28 20 Feb 2006

I don't know what you are trying to backup, but If you are using XP why not just right click on the file / folder you want to save and choose copy to folder and choose your CD drive

Big Elf 11:37 20 Feb 2006

Is it possible that you need to use a CD-RW or DVD-RW disk to do this?

Jade 14 G 12:15 20 Feb 2006

l need to copy to disc as my laptop is going in to have a repair and l don't want to risk it being lost,Yes am on xp.
Jade

rawprawn 12:28 20 Feb 2006

If you have XP Home there is a full backup program already there, you just have to install it.

to put the Backup Utility on your computer. Simply insert the XP CD, and run NTBACKUP.MSI (it might look like just "Ntbackup") program from the folder D:\Valueadd\msft\ntbackup where D: is the letter of your CD drive. This will launch the Windows Backup Utility Installation Wizard, which will install the utility automatically. When it is finished, click "Finish." It's that easy!
Now you can click Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> to find it and use it to copy to your DVD

rawprawn 12:30 20 Feb 2006

click here This is easier to understand

Big Elf 12:39 20 Feb 2006

I just wondered if the way the software works means that you can only write to a rewriteable disk rather than a write once disk the same way tha InCD works with drag and drop..

Jade 14 G 12:51 20 Feb 2006

Just going to install the XP backup, have used xp ever since it came out and never knew about this,
Thanks to both of you

Granger 17:30 20 Feb 2006

If you still want to find alternative CD burning software, click here, download the free version. Works very well. But it's not backup software.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?