back up of C: drive.

Davith 16:11 16 Apr 2006

I run XP. Using 40G hard drive. In the past I used Norton Ghost to create an Image copy of drive onto another 40 GB drive as security should my main drive expire. Previously the copy when put in place of my normal drive has booted OK. Recently after doing the drive copy it will not boot. Also tried "Roxio BackupMyPC 6". This allows the creation of a Disaster Recovery Set of disks in conjunction with the XP issue CD. When trying this onto my second 40GB drive all appears to create a drive correctly but again will not boot when put in place of my normal drive. There are no hardware changes other than the interchange of drives of course.
Can anyone offer any suggestions for this occuring?.

mgmcc 16:19 16 Apr 2006

<<< In the past I used Norton Ghost to create an Image copy of drive onto another 40 GB drive as security should my main drive expire. Previously the copy when put in place of my normal drive has booted OK. >>>

Surely this would depend on whether you "cloned" the original drive or created a Ghost "image"? The clone should boot, but the drive with only an image won't.

Diemmess 16:34 16 Apr 2006

I assume you are saying that the .gho image is "restored" first to the target disk before booting with it, and that just recently this method has stopped working.

In the off chance that you have changed either HD, how about the jumpers on each drive?

Have you checked that the temporary C: drive is still visible when rigged that way either in the BIOs or during the almost subliminal initial stage of booting?

Davith 16:45 16 Apr 2006

NortonGhost has a drive copy facility allowing the copy of one drive to another intended for upgrading to larger drives. This is a straight copy procedure alowing copy of boot records partioning formatting etc of replacement drive. The process is virtually automatic. When completed origionally I could exchange the drives and the copy one then booted and could be used as a replacement for the origional drive. I used this on a month and month about basis succesfully ubtil recently. Could it be anything to do with Microsofts anti copyright procedures?

Diemmess 17:29 16 Apr 2006

My experience of Norton Ghost was with version 4 which was strictly a floppy boot and compressed image that had to be done while C: drive was not active. (I use something entirely different these days).

So the big question is that if nothing physical has changed since it used to work - why is it not working now? The answer must be software rather than hardware.

Could you perhaps go the oldfashioned route, make a ghost image of the first HD and then restore it to the second HD.
If that is possible it would truly make the second disk a copy of the first wrinkles and all, but bang up to date.

If that works as it should then, while it doesn't explain anything, it would allow you to go back to your present system hopefully running once more as it did until recently.

pj123 18:55 16 Apr 2006

Just received an email re a previous thread from Davith.

click here

Didn't realise he has posted another thread.

Have answered his email explaining how to use xxcopy.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?