Back up AOL Favourites

donmar 16:03 27 Nov 2004

I Have aol 9 and win XP.I want to backup my list of favourite Web Sites to a Floppy or CD but nobody seems able to tell me how to do it.

I have copied the organise folder to cd but it only contains the cache and a list of files which when opened only shaw an empty notepad page.

Can you help me please?

mattyc_92 16:08 27 Nov 2004

If you want to copy your Favourites, you will have to open each one indvidually and copy and paste the addresses into new "Internet Shortcuts" and cut and paste these "shortcuts" onto your external device (Floppy disk, DVD-R/RW, etc...)

mattyc_92 16:10 27 Nov 2004

I have just thought.... why do you want to "backup" your favourites from AOL 'cause your favourites are saved into your AOL account.... This means that you can access them ANYWHERE in the world using your screenname and password!!!!

Diemmess 16:25 27 Nov 2004

Aol 9 is different!

If you open \Program Files\aol\ you will find a short-cut to Organise. Right click on that for Properties, and it will show you its path. Or you can use the shortcut and copy everything (including Cache) that is listed.

Should you wish to restore this lot, it is a good idea to know the path it uses anyway!

Diemmess 17:02 27 Nov 2004

I have a feeling that long I tried and failed at this, but try the Aol freephone number. If you are lucky you will get an Irish voice as well as good advice.

donmar 17:30 27 Nov 2004

Thanks Guys
Tries all these and none of them work. I would like to copy one of the Favourite folders which contains a long list of web sites that a friend would like and send them to him.There are about 30 of them and it would take me ages to type them all out again.
Is there a way to copy them into an email and send them?
AOL telehone are not able to help. Don

Thanks Guys
Tries all these and none of them work. I would like to copy one of the Favourite folders which contains a long list of web sites that a friend would like and send them to him.There are about 30 of them and it would take me ages to type them all out again.

Thanks Guys

feb 18:36 27 Nov 2004

Hi HYPNO

Sign on to AOL, click on "Favourites", then on "Manage" at the bottom of the new window and then the first option should be the one you are looking for!

The BB 18:53 27 Nov 2004

Have you tried Help and then using one of the AOL cahtagents to talk you through it?

The BB 18:53 27 Nov 2004

Have you tried Help and then using one of the AOL chatagents to talk you through it?
(this time with less spoiling errors)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

Les meilleures applications pour enfants 2017