back up

civicr 12:03 08 Oct 2008

Hi all ,
what is the best way of moving programmes to another drive , eg music and pictures . I want to move these as my drive seems full of crud and filling fast , so I need to move and empty c drive and start again .
I have a 160gb drive to move to and use xp home with ab 80gb .
Thanks ,
Civir

Jak_1 13:10 08 Oct 2008

By far the easiest way is to re-install your programs on the empty drive. Simply moving programs from one drive to another requires registry changes and changing the pathways of the shortcuts etc. Moving data files is no problem, simply drag and drop them.
Having said that, it is best to leave your programs on the C drive and if possible configure the programs to locate their data files to the new drive. As for music and pictures, there is no real problem as the facility is written into most music and graphics programs to show the location of music and pictures folders held on other drives and open them accordingly.

Peter 13:22 08 Oct 2008

You could use Acronis Disk Image, or something similar, to clone the 80 GB drive onto the 160 GB drive and then install the 160 GB drive as your C: Drive. The 80 GB drive could then be formatted and used for storage.

Peter.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:47 08 Oct 2008

If all your photos music etc is in MY documents

ie.c:\ My docs\my pictures, c:\My docs\My music

then click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy Note 8 review

Be inspired by powerful National Theatre posters from the past 50 years

How to use the new Photos, Notes and Safari features in macOS High Sierra

Galaxy Note 8 : design, caractéristiques techniques, date de sortie