Awful adverts and other pains

crsahteam 08:23 28 May 2003

GRRRRR! Last week I bought the latest issue of PC Advisor. Up to this point I had been aware of pop ups, From Nat West, Credit card account pages and the like, only for sites that I had subscribed to though. They come, I made them go without much of a fight. Having read about the ad shield software in your magazine, I thought I would investigate, why have them if there is no need I thought. My ADventure took me to the PC Advisor CD Rom, upon running one of the apps, I was sent to bis.180solutions.com, addoubleclick.net and various other including a rather annoying ebay one, ad shield has succesfully taken care of these, but why had I never seen them before using the CD Rom?

Lú-tzé 08:44 28 May 2003

Not a direct answer, but something better than an ad-blocker: Mozilla browser - free, stable and very good. Has both a built in popup stopper and a built in ad blocker.

click here for the Mozilla Organization

If you use Mozilla, and see an ad, just right click on it and tell it to block images from that server: thus you miss out on doubleclick and similar and after a couple of weeks end up with an impressive list of blocked ad servers. It is even possible to download these lists from the net and be blocked immediately.

tmac 10:18 28 May 2003

I tried the mozilla site but could not see anything called browser

Wes Tam ;-) 10:33 28 May 2003

Try Outpost Firewall free from click here

With this you can stop all adverts and pop-ups.

graham√ 10:37 28 May 2003

First page 'Download Mozilla'. A browser is the thing you 'browse' the internet with. Most common is Internet Explorer, I use AOL. Once you are logged on to the 'net you can switch browsers if you wish. If you download Mozilla you could use that.

Lú-tzé 23:01 28 May 2003

click here for a direct download link - about 11Mb

GANDALF <|:-)> 00:26 29 May 2003

A minor point but these adverts, that are so distressing you, actually pay for the free internet. Hosting sites and maintaining them costs bucketloads o'cash....who do you think pays for all this? There are much bigger problems in life.

G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?