AWARDSPACE FTP Information

collinsc 15:58 13 Apr 2008

I have just set up a free account with AWARDSPACE, but am struggling to connect. Im thinking perhaps i have some incorrect info in the FTP details?.

Details i have in the FTP (Filezilla) are:

Host: /home/www/ns1.awardspace.com
Username: (Confidential !)
Password: (Confidential !)
Port: (Blank)

Do i need to add my personal subdomain in the host?

Do i need to add details in my control panel to correspond? Perhaps under Website Manager> FTP Manager?

Thanks

DieSse 16:28 13 Apr 2008

Have you set up a domain or subdomain yet - you need to do that first.

With a subdomain, you'll have a folder created with that name, that you ftp your site into.

ftp host setting for CuteFtp is

confidential.awardpace.com

Your site name for access will be

click here - note - no www

DieSse 16:28 13 Apr 2008

Hover over the click here to see the name pop-up

DieSse 16:29 13 Apr 2008

As bad luck would have it - someone uses that name! - ah well some free publicity for them!

DieSse 16:33 13 Apr 2008

All the FAQs here - including ftp settings

click here

collinsc 16:36 13 Apr 2008

lol indeed!

"Have you set up a domain or subdomain yet - you need to do that first." - I have 5 free subdomain names... i added that to details in Website Manager> FTP Manager.

"With a subdomain, you'll have a folder created with that name, that you ftp your site into." - OK, so once connected i should see my subdomain folder to drag my files into?

cheers

DieSse 16:40 13 Apr 2008

Yup

collinsc 16:42 13 Apr 2008

So- i ne to make sure my subdomain is set up in the control panel? and then do i need to put that in the FTP as host?
rather than: /home/www/ns1.awardspace.com

collinsc 16:44 13 Apr 2008

This is response i just got from award space after asking the exact same in the thread:

The default port is 21, so you can leave the field for it blank for the time being.

The main problem preventing your connection is that you, as you rightfully guessed,
will need to have a valid hostname (domain / subdomain) to connect to.
After you create a subdomain.awardspace.com (for free) from the subdomain manager,
you will be able to use it as ftp hostname. Be sure to upload your files to /home/www/subdomain.awardspace.com,
and not just /home/www. The latter configuration will not get your site displayed at all.

I know wha ive done ive typed in:
/home/www/subdomain.awardspace.com and not replaces subdomain with my subdomain!

collinsc 16:48 13 Apr 2008

Lol, no that didnt do it either :(

DieSse 16:54 13 Apr 2008

"Be sure to upload your files to /home/www/subdomain.awardspace.com,"

I just use

subdomain.awardspace.com as the ftp name.

I don't know where the /home/www/ bit comes from - maybe it's for new accounts - try without it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

HP’s new Surface Pro rival is designed specifically for Adobe-using designers and artists

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?