Award BIOS upgrade help needed

Faser 20:30 05 Nov 2003

To use a faster processor in my pc (Athlon 2400+) I need to upgrade the BIOS, the motherboard is A MSI K7N420PRO (ms6373).
I have followed the instructions to the letter however when I here: -

7. When you get the A:\ prompt, type the following sequence:
C: enter>
cd\test enter>
C:\test> awdfl783m BIOS file
(to save or not to save old BIOS is the user?s decision)

When I type C: it tells me it is an invalid drive entry. The hard drive is correctly named (C:) local disk any ideas please?

Rayuk 20:42 05 Nov 2003

What os are you using?

You could always use the Live update program
click here

Faser 21:04 05 Nov 2003

Windows XP home (SP1). Tried the live update about an hour ago keep getting "cannot find server".

Rayuk 17:19 06 Nov 2003

Is it Fat32 or NTFS??

Rayuk 18:27 06 Nov 2003

Also what floppy boot disk are you using?

DieSse 21:36 06 Nov 2003

You will be much better of putting the BIOS files onto the floppy disk - then you will not need to change to the C drive to run them.

As Rayuk points out, if your drive is formatted to NTFS, you won't be able to talk to it in DOS anyway - so you'll have to run the BIOS flash from the floppy.

Faser 13:08 08 Nov 2003

Oops! You are right guys its NTFS. I should have followed the non fat file instructions.
Live update is now working, guess what, in the Bios section it supports ver. 2.10 up and I have ver. 2.00 and returns zero updates when run.
I am a bit worried about flashing the bios now as I have not done it this way before and the MSI websites seem to have errors and contradictions.
Has anyone successfully flashed this board?

Rayuk 15:54 08 Nov 2003

Follow the instructions to flash using the instructions in following link
click here

Dont forget to use the latest bios available,could save you having to do it again later.

You can download Win98 start up disk files from
click here

Faser 17:34 14 Nov 2003

I did the bios upgrade. It failed I think it was a corrupt downloaded file on the floppy, one dead pc! Used recovery disk however I did not have instructions and proceeded from memory.
Pc now booted up but had to activate Windows again and had no sound; reinstalling nVidia drivers via Live Update fixed this.
The problem is although the original CPU is fitted it is now showing as an Athlon 1100mhz instead of the correct Athlon Xp1700+ (1.47Ghz).
Is it possible the Bios has not loaded correctly?
The really irritating thing is it looks if the Live Bios Update is now working!

Rayuk 18:08 14 Nov 2003

You need to enter the bios and alter the setting for the cpu to 133.

Rayuk 18:10 14 Nov 2003

Are you still using the old bios?or have you used he Live update?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone