Avira(9)crashing windows vista(BSOD)

hiwatt 18:01 28 Jun 2009

Hi folks.I've been using avira(version 8)for a while now without any problems on windows vista.Yesterday I got a notice saying that a new version(9)was required for windows vista using service pack 2.Every time I run a scan now my computer crashes with the BSOD and I have to switch off from the tower.Anyone else experienced this?Any ideas what's causing it?Thanks.

Technotiger 19:35 28 Jun 2009

I don't use Avira (prefer AVG), but I would advise you to un-install your Avira and then download and install Avira V9, from one of these sites click here

hiwatt 19:51 28 Jun 2009

Hi Technotiger.I uninstalled avira using revo then installed version 9 and that's when the problem started.I had been using version 8 with no problems.I suppose I could try uninstalling and reinstalling and see if that helps?

T I M B O 19:57 28 Jun 2009

Why not remove V9 again, install V8 then install V9 on top of V8. That might help as most upgrades do go on top nowerdays.

I know lots here live revo, but i have had a few bad reports about it, i shall try it out on my crash box sometime soon and check out the results.

Technotiger 20:00 28 Jun 2009

Yes I guess so. Revo is excellent, did you follow my earlier guidelines for using Revo?

ie ... if you are prompted to re-start your computer in the early stages DO NOT re-start, let Revo continue. When you get the option to Select All and to Delete, DO SO (do not be picky - accept Revo's choices). You may get this same option twice, do the same again. You will finally get the option to click on Finish, do so and then re-start your computer.

I have noticed that when peeps using Revo decide to make their own choices/guesses, they usually end up in the Helproom with problems!

hiwatt 21:02 28 Jun 2009

Yes I always let revo uninstaller clear out all left over files and ignore the reboot option until it's finished.I've posted on the avira forum to see if there's any specific reason for it crashing.I just wanted to see if anyone here had the same problem.I'll post back when I get an answer.Thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?