Avira update problem

john bunyan 18:29 20 Jan 2010

On W7, PC Tools firewall, Avira (free) anti virus. Twice today the Avira update failed ("An error occurred during the download...") Tried shutting down and restarting - same problem. Any ideas? Am currently running a SAS scan to check for malware.

john bunyan 19:02 20 Jan 2010

Googled Avira Error code 537. Possible clodding up of their servers. Will try again tomorrow but interested if others have succeeded in updating it pm on 20th.

pa1916 19:11 20 Jan 2010

I have the full version of Avira i've had no messages saying i require updates so it must have updated today.
The minus point with Avira it's a German company so there is no british support.

john bunyan 19:19 20 Jan 2010

Thanks for reply. On the free version you just do a manual check for updates and I got this Error code 537, which has references in Google.JB

User-1229748 19:43 20 Jan 2010

there were some problems with avira in windows 7 if you were using windows defender although it hasn't affected me as yet.might be worth you disabling defenders real time protection then trying to update.

User-1229748 20:02 20 Jan 2010

found this in their forums,second post click here

john bunyan 21:12 20 Jan 2010

Well done on findig this. The scan worked ok and I did scan with updated SAS so as long as the update works in the next day or so I will hang on.JB

thumbscrew 08:56 21 Jan 2010

I've just migrated from Avast to free Avira, entirely due to the fact that the new upgrade, Avast 5, really screwed up my machine. However, at least with Avast it delivered regular quick, daily automatic updates. Not so with Avira. It doesn't seem to update automatically....can any users tell me if it should? Manual updates are more than painfully slow...close to 30 minutes...is this the norm? If so I'm off again, probably to AVG!

hiwatt 11:49 21 Jan 2010

There's been a problem with the free servers over the last couple of days.It usually updates daily automatically with no problems.Hopefully it gets sorted soon.

john bunyan 12:07 21 Jan 2010

I used to be with AVG 9 on XP but now with Avira on W7. Does AVG free work ok now with W7? Avira would not update again today.

User-1229748 17:29 21 Jan 2010

yes it does normally update automatically but i just tried to update and still having problems but you can also update by selecting manual update from the top of avira window and follow this which i just did and it updated.not ideal but still worth having the latest definitions click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Intel Coffee Lake release date and specifications

12 Amazing British Craft Beer Label Designs

watchOS 4 review

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017