Avira (free) update failure

john bunyan 19:26 18 Mar 2010

For two days running the update on my free Avira anti virus has failed. I ran a manual update, but wondered if their servers are playing up or a recent MS update has caused this. I am on W7 64 bit. Any other Avira users having a problem?

john bunyan 09:59 19 Mar 2010

Am I the only one with this problem?

northumbria61 12:39 19 Mar 2010

Hi John

You could try these suggestions - may just work for you.

click here

john bunyan 16:06 19 Mar 2010

Hi n61
This has happened before and I download a zip file from Avira and do a manual update. In the past the auto update then works. I will wait a bit as these free programmes sometimes dont catch up with windows updates. I just wondered if it had affected other free Avira users, but there seems to be none around!

shizzy 21:57 19 Mar 2010

Yes we have had updating problems again so do it manually although mine does usually do the scheduled automatic one. This happens at 6-45pm.
but if I put the pc on early I like to update after booting up.

john bunyan 22:02 19 Mar 2010

Thanks. The auto update worked today, after 2 days of me downloading the zip file and manually updating. I quit like Avira as it has instantly flagged and stopped a couple of virus attacks recently.

robin_x 00:29 20 Mar 2010

I have been using Avira for a couple of years.

Have tried others, but I won't change.

Occasionally I have had update problems.
Sometimes busy servers, sometimes unknown cause.

Sometimes, guard gets disabled and cannot re-enable.

While there are many workarounds and possible investigations, I find it easier just to un-install / re-install

10 mins or so.

robin_x 00:31 20 Mar 2010

Oh I keep a reasonably recent download of the avira en.exe whatever setup file on my HDD.
So if it is a server problem, I always have a copy working, till it can get thru to the servers for updates.

rdave13 00:46 20 Mar 2010

I tried Avira but found the updating problems an irritation. Went back to Avast.

john bunyan 14:12 20 Mar 2010

Thanks. Trying to check what free version I have but it does not show in W7 software list, nor in tools in CCleaner. I suppose I could just download the latest and uninstall/reinstall, but I assumed the uopates would take care of that. Working OK now so I will stay with it.I do always keep downloaded programmes in W Explorer and a back up on a external HD.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?