Avira (free) update failure

john bunyan 19:26 18 Mar 2010

For two days running the update on my free Avira anti virus has failed. I ran a manual update, but wondered if their servers are playing up or a recent MS update has caused this. I am on W7 64 bit. Any other Avira users having a problem?

john bunyan 09:59 19 Mar 2010

Am I the only one with this problem?

northumbria61 12:39 19 Mar 2010

Hi John

You could try these suggestions - may just work for you.

click here

john bunyan 16:06 19 Mar 2010

Hi n61
This has happened before and I download a zip file from Avira and do a manual update. In the past the auto update then works. I will wait a bit as these free programmes sometimes dont catch up with windows updates. I just wondered if it had affected other free Avira users, but there seems to be none around!

shizzy 21:57 19 Mar 2010

Yes we have had updating problems again so do it manually although mine does usually do the scheduled automatic one. This happens at 6-45pm.
but if I put the pc on early I like to update after booting up.

john bunyan 22:02 19 Mar 2010

Thanks. The auto update worked today, after 2 days of me downloading the zip file and manually updating. I quit like Avira as it has instantly flagged and stopped a couple of virus attacks recently.

robin_x 00:29 20 Mar 2010

I have been using Avira for a couple of years.

Have tried others, but I won't change.

Occasionally I have had update problems.
Sometimes busy servers, sometimes unknown cause.

Sometimes, guard gets disabled and cannot re-enable.

While there are many workarounds and possible investigations, I find it easier just to un-install / re-install

10 mins or so.

robin_x 00:31 20 Mar 2010

Oh I keep a reasonably recent download of the avira en.exe whatever setup file on my HDD.
So if it is a server problem, I always have a copy working, till it can get thru to the servers for updates.

rdave13 00:46 20 Mar 2010

I tried Avira but found the updating problems an irritation. Went back to Avast.

john bunyan 14:12 20 Mar 2010

Thanks. Trying to check what free version I have but it does not show in W7 software list, nor in tools in CCleaner. I suppose I could just download the latest and uninstall/reinstall, but I assumed the uopates would take care of that. Working OK now so I will stay with it.I do always keep downloaded programmes in W Explorer and a back up on a external HD.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017