Avira Antivir won't update

realist 22:48 27 Jun 2008

Just installed this but definitions updater won't update.

Reports "Updater is starting applications"

then progress bar runs to 100%

then reports "internet connection failed".

realist 22:58 27 Jun 2008

OK, after countless attempts it has now updated!

NewestRoyWidd1 23:00 27 Jun 2008

Tick as'resolved'?

there's been a large update and looks like the servers have struggled, they say it should be back to normal by weekend lol click here

FatboySlim71 08:19 28 Jun 2008

I have been having trouble with this updating most of this week.

If you have the same trouble again, try altering your schedule to update late at night (if possible).

Also (this sometimes works) go into Avira program folder (this is usually,
C:Program files/Avira/AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic

In this folder you will find a file called "preupd" double click on this, this sometimes works also.

The not updating problem seems to have been sorted out now, I have just tried and it informed me within about 10 seconds that my definitions are up to date, whereas when the update problem was there it would take around 2 minutes to notify me or it would show "Internet connection failed".

FatboySlim71 08:31 28 Jun 2008

I forgot to mention earlier that I have used the below method for most of this week to update:

Go to

click here

Click on the DOWNLOAD IVDF (UNICODE). This basically allows you to save the current definitions to your PC in the form or a zip file. Once the file is saved to your PC, DO NOT UNZIP IT (BASICALLY LEAVE IT HAS IT IS), now open the Avira program up (DOUBLE CLICK ON ITS ICON ON THE NOTIFICATION AREA NEAR THE CLOCK). Left click on the UPDATE menu, next from this menu choose MANUAL UPDATE, next a little window will appear and you need to find the file which you saved in the earlier steps, click on this and then on open/ok.

I have used this method most of this week and it has allowed me to update whereas otherwise I could not. Its something to bear in mind in case the update problems return at a later date.

Halmer 11:43 28 Jun 2008

you can change it to a scouse or geordie accent or maybe even Joanna Lumley?

provider 2 12:05 28 Jun 2008

Halmer,

I`m not entirely sure a Geordie accent would be a major improvement, but I could be wrong, of course.

Joanna Lumley now, that`s a different matter (in Avast, I mean).

FatboySlim71 12:20 28 Jun 2008

Wee hi man, ya virus database has been updated lol.

provider 2 12:24 28 Jun 2008

Yes, well, maybe there`s something to be said for it after all.

Halmer 15:08 28 Jun 2008

should have been click here !!!!

Don't know what happened there. Weird. Spoiled my joke though!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?