Avira anti virus registry entry {80b8c23c-16e0-4cd8-bbc3-cecec9a78b79}

pcadvisorplus 11:09 13 Jul 2013

There have been extensive postings on the Avira site regarding an empty registry entry,

HKEYCLASSESROOT \ {80b8c23c-16e0-4cd8-bbc3-cecec9a78b79}

why it is there and how to get rid of it. Users of the program have complained on the Avira forum web site that the empty entry keeps reappearing even when seemingly deleted. Avira states it is a security issue and won't give any help, and indeed sounds pretty fed up with users queries.

I was successful (permanently) by doing the following (in Windows XP pro):

1. untick the three security start up boxes in the Avira Anti-Virus configuration (I use the free version), these ensure that registry entries can't be tampered with by any malware.

2. restart machine. Go into registry with the Windows program regedt32.exe , find HKEYCLASSESROOT \ {80b8c23c-16e0-4cd8-bbc3-cecec9a78b79} , delete.

3. Now when I first did this and restarted I noticed that there was another entry substituted after restarting. I've mislaid my notes somewhere on this, for the moment, but when I checked this out on the Microsoft site, it appeared to be a Windows server 2003 reference. This wouldn't delete.

4. I went into Safe Mode and with an excellent free program Auslogics Registry Cleaner did a thorough clean of the registry. The additional registry entry disappeared. Auslogics complements Piriform's CCleaner and I highly recommend it. It needs to be done in Safe Mode however for this entry.

None of Avira's anti virus functions seem to be affected. Nor did it interfere with updating it manually.

The latest free version of Avira (May 2013) seems to allow deletion of the registry entry - following the security options unticking above - and didn't reappear on restart.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5T review: Hands-on

Illustrator Andrés Lozano on his improv line work, brazen use of colours & hand sketching

iPhone X review

Comment envoyer gratuitement des gros fichiers ?