avi wont play on standalone dvd player help

patso 21:44 25 Jun 2007

i have downloaded some videos which say they are avi files but when i try to play them on my stand alone dvd with divx capability the dvd gives me a message file not supported.i have burned these files by making a data disc with nero ,i found some will play and the others give the above file not supported message,i have divx converter and am using this at the moment to see if this will work with the avi file.i am after dropping it in to the converter to see what happens,any ideas about this please

skidzy 21:57 25 Jun 2007

If problems persist Patso,try click here to convert the files.

Also try burning at a slower speed to reduce errors.

JoeC 22:22 25 Jun 2007

Use Nero Vision, or use Nero StartSmart and select make your own DVD video. Add video files -select the avi file and click on Add. Nero will then convert the avi file for you and then burn the DVD.

C3 22:34 25 Jun 2007

You could check to see if there are any firmware upgrades for your DVD player.

Also, I've had a similar problem with some files my Phillips DVD player won't play some files, but our other DVD player (different brand) will play them. I guess it's just one of those things!

patso 23:09 25 Jun 2007

theres only one problem with nero and thios is it-when i add video files it is telling me it will take 6 hours and 35 mins to make the dvd and thats writing it to a folder on hard drive first,any ideas about why the files are not viewable and others are? thanks again

robbiepaul79 09:54 26 Jun 2007

so you are now saying that some avi files play and yet some do not ?

martd77 10:45 26 Jun 2007

Patso
Avi is really a generic term,some can be divx,xvid,vcd,svcd etc
Using nero is a tiresome way of converting these files,
If in nero i burn a dvd data disk with 6 divx films on they all will play which i presume you are trying to do.
Try the trial versions of winavi,converts lots of different formats,mpeg to avi,wmv to avi etc even avi to dvd as does converxtodvd.
Ive used the one skidzy recommended its freeware but i found it flakey with some files.

patso 13:57 26 Jun 2007

yes robbi i have used divxconverter and this has worked for me on the file that would not play ,i can now watch it on my stand alone but the quality is a little bit downgraded but is better than nothing,i will try the other prog and update the post ,thanks again

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017