avi to dvd

sak41 10:20 30 Mar 2006

is it possible to transfer an avi film onto a cd-r and play on dvd player, is there a free software i can use to do this.

Sibbo 11:21 30 Mar 2006

If you use a cdr, it will only play if your DVD player supports mpeg4/DivX/VidX files. However, if you convert it to DVD format, and burn it to a DVD disc, it will play.

stlucia 12:43 30 Mar 2006

You could try click here I'm not sure what type of MPEG it outputs, though from the FAQs on the web site it seems to be MPEG1 or 2.

You can burn the MPEG files to a CD-R or a DVD to play on a domestic DVD player provided your player is capable of playing home-burned CD-R, or whatever format you wish to use. The way I do it, once I've got my MPEG file(s) is to use Roxio and go to the "Create a DVD" or "Create a Video CD" option. From memory (I'm not at my own PC at the moment), you can only put MPEG1 files onto a video CD, and for a DVD you must have MEPG2 files.

A video CD will be much shorter than a DVD and, because it uses MPEG1, the quality will be worse.
Maybe there's a way to get MPEG2 (or better) onto a video CD, but that will reduce it's duration even further.

ACOLYTE 13:08 30 Mar 2006

This click here will convert avi to dvd, it is a demo and fully functional the only thing is when you are done you get the "demo" tag on the finished thing,it's not on the video just on the border at the bottom,if you can live with that its a nice little program.

Coff 16:16 30 Mar 2006

In order to play your cd-r on a stand alone DVD Player, you need to convert your avi file to either VCD or SVCD format. You can convert to VCD using Fx MPEG Writer (free) from click here

There is another free program called SUPER © from click here which will convert to either VCD or SVCD.

Once you've created your VCD or SVCD file you need to burn it to your cd-r as either a video VCD or SVCD using appropriate burning software. I think the most common would be Nero but I don't use it so can't advise on the settings. Ashampoo Burning Studio 5 or 6 will do it as well.

(SVCD is normally better quallity than VCD but not all DVD players will recognise an SVCD. An SVCD file will be bigger than a VCD file.)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?