AVGRSX.EXE has encountered a problem

Barnacarry 13:08 31 Jul 2008

While I was doing a deep scan on my computer, using a-squared, a notice came up saying 'AVGRSX.EXE has encountered a problem and needs to close.' and the computer shut down.

When the computer rebooted another notice came up saying 'The system has recovered from a serious error.' and the error signature read -

BCCode : 10000012 BCP1 : 00000001 BCP2 : 00001900 BCP3 : 00000000 BCP4 : 00000000 OSVer : 5_1_2600 Product : 768_1

It appeared to refer to 2 files -'Temp\WERc25b.dir00\mini073108.01.dmp' and 'Temp\WERc25b.dir00\sysdata.xml'

Should I be worried or was Microsofts medical team successful?

birdface 13:48 31 Jul 2008

I had a few problems with AVG and the paid for version of A squared.looks as thought there was a bit of a conflict between them.I had to turn the background settings off of A Squared.It did not matter what one you ran they would find problems with each other.it has sorted itself out now so don't know if it was further updates that helped.

johndrew 13:54 31 Jul 2008

AVGRSX.EXE is the Resident Shield in AVG 8.0 which scans files as they are downloaded/opened and protect the PC.

It also uses a lot of CPU and/or RAM and can slow the PC down, but it is a good protection device and should not be stopped.

Why it encountered a problem is unclear, but may have resulted from other anti-malware software you are running. If scans you are doing now are OK (no errors) ignore the problem as it may well have been a glitch. If it does repeat consider other security software that is running as it may be conflicting with AVG.

Barnacarry 12:33 01 Aug 2008

Thank you both. Having uninstalled AVG 8.0 the problem has ceased and I should have known better than to have two antivirus programs running together. Cheers.

brundle 12:37 01 Aug 2008

Two antivirus programs? ASquared is an anti-mal/spyware product. Of course if you mean another AV you hadn't mentioned in your posts....

brundle 12:39 01 Aug 2008

Just to clarify;

a-squared is a complementary product to antivirus- and firewall software. a-squared was designed to be fully compatible basically with all programs.

If you encounter a problem in combination with another program, please tell us. We will solve the problem as quickly as possible.

Please note, that you should turn off other background guards while running a scan with a-squared. Other guards would check each file twice and the scan would take very long.

Barnacarry 16:07 01 Aug 2008

Ok. From what I can gather I have uninstalled the wrong program. I'm sure I read somewhere that a-squared was slightly better than AVG, which is why I thought they were similar types of software. (I should always read the small print).
I am also running Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, Spyware Blaster and Hazard Shield, is that enough?

brundle 16:33 01 Aug 2008

AVG does now have antispyware scanning built in, but it is an anti-virus app primarily - the two should work fine in combination. As for your other programs, horses for courses. Being aware of the risks is half the battle. I only have NOD32 and Spywareblaster on my main machine and rarely install a dedicated anti-spyware scanning app, even then just to see if anything crept in. It's not impossible to avoid the rubbish that exists on the net. Using Firefox as the default browser helps too, or anything that isn't Internet Explorer or and/or uses ActiveX. Regardless, having too much security is preferable to not having enough.

Barnacarry 16:43 01 Aug 2008

I have now reinstalled AVG 8.0. I admit that when I run any of these 'anti' programs I never turn off other background guards, assuming that they will greet each other with a passing nod and carry on.
I will follow all the above advice and thank you all.

johndrew 09:49 02 Aug 2008

I run AVG 8.0, and a-squared and Spyware Blaster together with absolutely no problem. I also have Spybot S&D, Defender, and Spyware Terminator which cause no difficulties. My firewall is Sunbelt/Kerio Personal. I am aware of some problems with Ad-Aware 2008 but as you don`t have this it is immaterial.

I don`t run Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware or Hazard Shield.

As for `what is enough` when it comes to protection, it depends a lot on your surfing habits and how you feel about security. There are some who will say they never bother with anything and have never had a problem, other with use three or more products and still feel unhappy. You must remember that only one anti-virus should be running, or you will have conflict, and not all anti-spyware software covers the same risks - as a result you may consider it valid to run two or three which should be harmonious.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Intel Coffee Lake release date and specifications

12 Amazing British Craft Beer Label Designs

watchOS 4 review

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017