AVGFree stalls at scanning SystemVolumeInformation

fmak 12:46 15 Oct 2007

I had a false virus alert triggered by Kaspersky online scanning. Since then, AVG Free and Kaspersky stalls at

SystemVolumeInformation\MountPointManager

and no amount of remedy ie Safe Mode Scanning (successful); Turning System Restore Off and On; Doing all the many things suggested in Anti Virus Forums helped and I am left with no anti-virus scan capability
I cannot regenerate SVI by using sfc.exe\ scannow as I have a Sony Vaio Destktop without any disks but a restore partition only. Very reluctant to start from scratch.

Judging from my searches, quite a no of people have SVI stalls when scanning with (different) anti virus software. What is the cause? Is there is a cure? Can SVI be regenerated without the original XPPro disk?

There are no suggestions by the antivirus software people that have seemd to have helped resolve the problems.

I still don't know if I have some virus or bug in the SVI, and how to be rid of it.

ambra4 13:00 15 Oct 2007

Having two anti-virus software running, at the same time will cause conflict AVG Free and Kaspersky chose the one you would like to keep and uninstall the other one

fmak 14:14 15 Oct 2007

Of course I only have one running at a time. Sorry, but this kind of general comment doesn't help.

I have dug further into what is in SVI. There is one restore point. MountPointmanager RemoteDesktop which is empty (superficially) and trackinglog which says it is a text file 20kb. This cannot be opened and locks the PC up when this is attempted. The SVI on the problem PC seems identical except for the restore data.

It seems that there may be something hidden which prevents AVG from moving on, or an issue with AVG itself.

There are at least 3 recent posts in AVG forum with this issue without resolution, and one in the Kaspersky Forum. Something is odd and it would be good to solve it.

mfletch 15:02 15 Oct 2007

Hi Why don't you try downloading a
new AVG and save it to your documents,

Then disconnect from the net and remove old AVG and install new,

Or remove and use AVAST FREE

mfletch

mfletch 15:08 15 Oct 2007

Re-Enabling System Restore
One of the tips that was widely circulated on the net when XP Professional was first released involved disabling System Restore via Group Policy Editor. It certainly works, but a problem arises if you want to re-enable System Restore at a later date. There is no option to re-enable it again. To do so:

Start the Group Policy Editor (gpedit.msc)
Navigate to Computer Configuration/Administrative Templates/System/System Restore
Set Turn off System Restore and Turn off Configuration to Disable
Right click on My Computer and Select Manage
Navigate to Services and Applications/Services
Navigate to System Restore Service and double click
On the General tab set [Startup Type] to Automatic using the drop down list
Click the Start button to start the service
Close the Computer Management console
Return to System Restore in Group Policy Editor and configure both to Not Configured
Close Group Policy Editor and reboot the system.

After the reboot is complete, right click My Computer, select Properties and the tab for System Restore will have been restored. Configure it to your individual needs and satisfaction

click here

Is this any help?

mfletch

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?