AVG/Download/Security Centre Problems

pinkcows 20:35 03 Feb 2007

Hi, if anybody can offer me advice on the following problems thanks, I am getting flustrated.

I installed AVGs free virus protection programme about a year ago and as it was due to run out I thought I would remove it of my pc then download it again. This is where my problems started.

During removing it from my pc things seemed to freeze and lock up for 10 mins so I manually turned of the pc by the plug socket as I couldnt seem to do anything else. When I turned back on my pc I found that I couldnt seem to remove the programme and it keeps saying " Error: Initialization of the language file " C:\Programe Files\GrisoftAVG Free" failed general failure " when trying to remove via add or remove icon on desktop.

Also from this point I stopped being able to download anything to my pc and everytime I click on anything to download nothing happens. Somebody suggested turing of the Firewall, turning of popup blockers but this had no effect. Also when I go to my security centre on my pc I can no longer access the Internet Options section and nothing happens. My pc informs me on the security settings page that virus checking programme is switched off but I cant turn it on because when I try to click on the AVG icon on my desctop nothing happens. I have tried to download it from the same site again but it wont let me download.

I have tried system restore several times to before I started tinkering but the same problems are still there.

Please can anybody help as I am getting very annoyed and flustrated mainly due to my lack of understanding of pc's. I have tried what I can think of but to no avail.

Thanks for any help dan....

thanks dan

alltime 01:05 04 Feb 2007

Hi Dan, Seems that the Avg files are damaged or corrupt if you cant remove or reinstall them.
Go to Start, Search, Files and folders. Do a search for AVG. Remove all files with the name (AVGGrisoft next to them). any files with AVGMicrosoft ie documents and settings LEAVE. as they could be shared. Then i would go to Iolo.com site (Google search) and download the version of System mechanic 7 as a free trial. Run this and it will remove all the system clutter and put your registry files in order.
click here
Hope this helps

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?