AVG6 free updates - what next

Sethhaniel 10:24 16 Apr 2004

I have been using AVG6 for some time and keep on top with the free virus updates - which I put in the appropriate folder and AVG6 reads and installs - as ther are now a few filewes in this folder (previous updates) is it safe to clear this folder or is AVG6 still using the info there

MidgetMan 10:27 16 Apr 2004

Yes, you can delete all the old ones. I keep the last 2 just in case, don't delete the update control file though.

If you make an error it will replace the missing file on the next update. I managed to recover a fair bit of space when I first did this.

penny 11:09 16 Apr 2004

How do you get AVG to save to a file? When I update it does it all automatically, downloads, installs and I never get to see the file. Cheers, Penny

MidgetMan 11:12 16 Apr 2004

If you update manually from the grisoft site you are asked where to store them, they are kept in the folder programme files/grisoft/updates.

If you have had avg for a while and never cleared the old updates out you will be suprised just how much room they can take.

bloo meeny 11:27 16 Apr 2004

Thanks for the 'reminder'.
I'd forgotten how long it had been since I had an update clearout.
Just reclaimed 12.2 MB !

HOT BOT 11:27 16 Apr 2004

How do you know which ones are new and which are old ones?

Djohn 11:28 16 Apr 2004

Click on your "My Computer" Icon then "C" drive/Program files folder/Grifsoft/AVG6/Update folder and delete all the files found inside that folder. j.

Como2 11:30 16 Apr 2004

"don't delete the update control file though"

Reading a similar thread yesterday, I checked my AVG/updates folder and found it contained over 60 mg of files.

Can you post the name of the control file please

Djohn 11:35 16 Apr 2004

As long as you clear all the files in the "Update" folder only then you'll be fine. This is the folder that updates are downloaded to prior to being installed, once installed by the AVG engine they are no longer required.

If you have not emptied this folder before, you may find anything up to 20-30 mb of files in there.

MidgetMan 11:37 16 Apr 2004

look at the modified date, the latest one has the newest date,

Como2

it's the file with ctf extension, usaully 1kb in size

Como2 11:39 16 Apr 2004

Djohn and MidgetMan

Thanks for the quick reply

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone