AVG & Zone Alarm ~ a short tale

wee eddie 12:56 23 Mar 2010

There have been a couple of threads lately regarding conflicts between AVG & Zone Alarm.

Initially I solved the problem by disabling the Link Scanner, but about two weeks ago the problem became critical.

frequently I found it difficult to link within websites and sometimes, even Logging-on needed several tries.

I had Spybot, with Teatimer, running. So I deleted, that which appeared to alleviate the problem somewhat, however only a little bit.

I've been happy with AVG and was loath to change it.

So, I downloaded COMODO > came offline > used CCleaner to clear up the Registry > installed COMODO > went back on-line > updated it.

Problem solved ~ connection singing along and all links functioning with alacrity.

Jollyjohn 14:55 23 Mar 2010

I had similar issues and I went down the route of removing zonealarm and reverted to windows defender. I still have AVG with link scanner disabled. So far so good.

MAT ALAN 15:06 23 Mar 2010

I had been a fan of AVG and ZA from the start but since my PC became a tad unstable i decided to change, so i now have AVAST free and COMODO free and there is a noticable diference...

SURVEY 14:21 30 Mar 2010

Yes, changed AVG for Avast as AVG/Zonealarm could not or would not solve the conflict themselvs.

scales 21:33 31 Mar 2010

Same again. After years of using AVG Free I have finally given up on it. Last year the issue with AVG and IE8 meant I reinstalled IE umpteen times and this year they update AVG and then blame ZoneAlarm for the problem. I am now using ZoneAlarm with Avast and all is smooth again. My confidence in AVG is somewhat dented.

Zak 10:12 02 Apr 2010

Latest ZA update 9.1.507.000 & AVG9 updates 9.0.800 appear to have fixed slow browser issues. I do btw have the security toolbars for both products disabled.

I am now very happy as browsing is as smooth as ever.

Chris the Ancient 10:27 02 Apr 2010

Why do so many people want Zone Alarm?

I accept that it is a firewall. But what percentage of home pc users without ZA or a firewall has been hacked?

I have a Netgear router that has an in-built firewall. Isn't this enough anyway?

CtA

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone