AVG will not now auto update

Zebrapec 00:36 21 Apr 2005

Hello, I have had the free AVG for a year or so, with win98 and dial up, and always received auto updated on my e-mail or web. Now I have gone to XP and AOL broadband it will not auto update.
Can anyone please help?

rawprawn 09:18 21 Apr 2005

Go to View / Components, and make sure that "Update Manager" is ticked

Zebrapec 23:17 21 Apr 2005

Yes, I've just checked that, and it is ticked.

Zebrapec 23:17 21 Apr 2005

Yes, I've just checked that, and it is ticked.

Indigo 1 00:17 22 Apr 2005

Check our settings in your firewall, make sure AVG is allowed.

Zebrapec 00:57 23 Apr 2005

Hi, I've checked my Zone Alarm fire wall and got all AVG ticked, however, i'm not sure about AOL, having just got it i had better see if there's something there,
I'll tell you something though, when i try to update, the update window appears, with the message- 'dial up' and 'the modem is not configured properly'. Now i have just changed from dial-up to broadband and have not got a clue how to configure the modem etc. I just put the AOL disc in and it did it all for me, i think.
Can you help please?

Jak_1 08:40 23 Apr 2005

click on tools > internet options > connections and check that you have the correct modem settings there.

I am no fan of AOL to say the least, I will not have any of their software within throwing distance of my pc's.

Zebrapec 11:59 23 Apr 2005

I really did not have much choice, as one of my family bought it for me with a years subscription, as a present. Being family i could not really refuse it. So i got it by default if you like, and now i'm stuck with it, like it or not. I must say that having come from internet explorer and outlook express on dial-up, it is a bit confusing, in your face, and not really controlable ( my first opinion).
I have never found the set up of any e-mail/web easy, mainly due to the obscure wording of the many tabs thrown up at you. Is there any book/magizine that explains every step of a set up in easy, everyday, basic language?

Zebrapec 12:16 23 Apr 2005

I'v just checked what you said Jak_1 and it put up about 50 combinations, with what I call ' un friendly' descriptions, like, proxy, proxysever, gateway, commpresion,ULR or was it URL. Now I know that everyone will say proxy means this and commpresion means that, BUT what I need to know is do I enable them or not? because they are meaningless to me. Sorry to go on, but they just a well might say apples and oranges.

Zebrapec 16:36 30 Apr 2005

Still not getting auto updates.
Does any one know if AOL and AVG are compatible?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?