AVG vs Avast Antivirus

alex.beckett 13:46 15 Sep 2009

Hi all,

I have just bought my new laptop and am at the point where i need to install my antivirus. I have been using avast for the past year or two on my pc after finishing with norton. I have been reccomended by a friend to use avg free but i have also read a lot of reviews that have said avast is safer and better.

I have never had any problems with avast but what is everyones opinion of the two on here?

Thanks

mfletch 13:54 15 Sep 2009

Stick with Avast

Or better still use Avira

alex.beckett 14:00 15 Sep 2009

Is avira better still than avast then?

If so what are you reasons for it being better?

Thanks

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:01 15 Sep 2009

IMHO
Avast just as good as AVG but uses less resources

RobCharles1981 14:05 15 Sep 2009

I'm using Avira works great with me.

ened 14:09 15 Sep 2009

"Is avira better still than avast then?"

I think there is little difference - it is mainly personal preference.

I like Avast and my wife has just had a major problem which appeared to be caused by AVG so I am going to switch her over also.

I should say that I had used AVG for years until I switched because it started causing me problems after an upgrade.

I now much prefer Avast because it seems to intercept the virus before it gets into the machine and whenever I bother to run a full scan it always comes up clean (presumably for this reason). AVG on the other hand used to find virus already on my machine.

alex.beckett 14:13 15 Sep 2009

Ok thanks. I read a review online that said it's good to have an anti-malware and anti-spyware program installed as well as avast or whatever antivirus you have.
Is there a need for this?

Thanks

DieSse 14:45 15 Sep 2009

Is there a need for this?

Yes. I use Malwarebytes, and Spybot S&D.

With a good AV they shouldn't find much - but better safe than sorry.

alex.beckett 15:04 15 Sep 2009

Ok, the one that ive been advised to install is superantispyware. Is this good and is it quite light on cpu usage etc...

Thanks

mfletch 15:25 15 Sep 2009

SAS is very good but the free version does not provide real time protection

Just do a manual scan every week that is enough

Avast plus a scan every week with SAS is OK

Just add SpywareBlaster 4.2 click here

palinka 15:47 15 Sep 2009

I've used AVG free version for years; never had any problems.
I tried Avast for a while, but didn't like it, so went back to AVG.
I think it's a matter of personal preference.
And yes, use anti-spyware/malware as well; because they all find slightly different nasties & GENERALLY SPEAKING an anti-virus will find only VIRUSES, not other harmful things.
Remember that ALL of these programs need updating regularly because they can only find/prevent threats that they have "learned" about from the updates.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best Black Friday Deals 2017

Black Friday Deals for Designers & Artists: Adobe, Apple, Corel Painter, Microsoft Surface, Wacom &e…

Best Black Friday Apple Deals 2017

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires