AVG versus NOD32

jagsimmons 07:16 07 Jun 2004

Which is best - have heard that AVG is very good at detecting but not always preventing. Some people seem to think the professional version is better. NOD32 seems to get excellent reviews although it comes with a price tag. Any feedback much appreciated.

Diodorus Siculus 07:38 07 Jun 2004

Just to add to the confusion, I find Avast4 to be perfect for my needs; uses few system resources and runs in the background scanning files as they are created.

My ISP removes any virus that comes via email so I cannot be sure how Avast would react, but it works well for me.

For most users, I don't see a reason to pay for an AV program when there are quality free options available.

Bagsey 08:33 07 Jun 2004

I go along with Diodorus Siculus why pay?? AVG has looked after me for 5 or more years with very little trouble except when I downloaded mail BEFOR updating. Any AV is only as good as the latest update.

zoomer 08:56 07 Jun 2004

Just to muddy the waters, I used AVG and it failed on more than one occasion. I now use NOD32 and find it to be excellent, it seems to be much less resource intensive than Norton products AND it has a much better chance of detecting *new* threats as it doesnt rely solely on signatures. IMHO its is better than AVG and I will def purchase again.

ste_bla 09:11 07 Jun 2004

sorry to be dense but what does IMHO stand for?

Diodorus Siculus 09:15 07 Jun 2004

IMHO - In My Humble Opinion

Nosmas 09:15 07 Jun 2004

In my humble opinion

Nosmas 09:16 07 Jun 2004

Snap!

Gongoozler 10:11 07 Jun 2004

I have been using Norton AV 2002, but the LiveUpdate subscription has now risen to £20.73. An upgrade to NAV 2004 isn't much more expensive, but I have read that NAV 2004 causes a serious system slowdown, especially in Windows 98 which I am using. The alternative which I am seriously considering is to use one of the free AV utilities, which is why this thread caught my attention. Does anyone here have an opinion on how AVG, NOD32 or any of the other AV utilities, either free or more reasonably priced than Norton, compares with NAV for security and resource overhead?

Diodorus Siculus 10:57 07 Jun 2004

I only have my own experience of running Avast4 on my desktop (Athlon 1333 / 512) and laptop (Centrino 1.5 / 512) and it runs great on both with little use of resources.

I have used AVG in the past but found it heavy going - about 4 years ago on a PII 233.

I was a long time user of Norton - 1993 I first started to use Norton Utilities and shortly afterwards got NAV for a Win95 machine. Prefer Avast.

Gongoozler 11:06 07 Jun 2004

Thanks for that Diodorus Siculus. I've just looked at the Avast website, and it looks good.
click here. When my Norton subscription runs out at the end of this month, I think I'll uninstall NAV, and try Avast.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?