AVG A/V free

muddypaws 10:08 30 Aug 2007

Can anyone tell me if AVG antivirus free runs a system scan automatically on startup. Have read on here that it does, but presumably can uncheck it. Going to ditch Norton soon.
Thanks.

Zaphod 3 10:25 30 Aug 2007

Yes

holme 10:28 30 Aug 2007

I don't think you can configure AVG Free to do a scan specifically at start-up as such.

However, you can achieve the same object by scheduling (say) a daily scan at some time before you normally switch on (e.g. 3a.m.) and tick the 'If missed, start immediately when computer starts up' button.

Then it will start scanning when you switch on each day (if after 3a.m.!) HTH.

birdface 10:43 30 Aug 2007

Avg is set to scan automatically .But this can be removed so that you can scan when you want it to,I have used AVG free for about 3 years now after removing Norton.And find it an excellent program.I am with Virgin and that has it's own Anti-Virus package but I am quite happy to stay with AVG.

holme 10:44 30 Aug 2007

For avoidance of confusion, you can also UNtick all the scheduler boxes so that AVG Free does not do any auto-scan, either at start-up or at any other time. In other words, scans are then wholly under manual control.

birdface 11:04 30 Aug 2007

How to remove the scan.In Avg go to Test Center.Click on Scheduler ,Click and highlight Test plan in basic mode.And then press Edit Schedule.Untick Periodically start scheduled anti virus test.[or just change the time of test] ok.That should stop it running at start up.

muddypaws 11:05 30 Aug 2007

I had read that AVG scanned on start up and it couldn't be changed. It seemed strange to me.
Anyway--all the options are as expected.
Thanks to all.

holme 11:29 30 Aug 2007

buteman's procedure is spot on, but we advise doing it for the Update plan as well as the Test plan (same procedure).

I forgot to mention that you can expect virus 'signature' updates (a few KB up to half a MB) to come in regularly, typically once or twice a day. They're great for peace of mind. :-)

However, every month or two, a much bigger Update will come, in 5-6 sections together, typically c. 1.5MB in total. This is an update to the underlying AVG Free application and installation is automatic.

Once that's done, it's worth checking again for updates immediately afterwards as a separate, 'signature' update may /also/ be available.

Note that programme (not signature) updates invariably re-activate the automatic scans scheduler, so you'll need to untick the boxes again to de-activate them. HTH.

muddypaws 13:04 30 Aug 2007

holme
Thanks for the advice.
Will resolve now.
Might re appear in next few days under Help--Norton removal!!!
Have read all procedures and got the removal tool.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?