AVG Updating - Why so many posts

DieSse 16:26 03 Jun 2005

Am I missing something here? Why is there a continual stream of posts about AVG updates - doesn't it update automatically?

Or does the auto-updating not work correctly?

Or what?

A puzzled user of an AV that updates automatically without continual intervention.

Ancient Learner 16:30 03 Jun 2005

I agree. I was thinking of getting rid or NAV and using this, but as there is all this, to me, unnecessary posting there must be a reason. NAV does at least quietly get on and update itself.

Joe R 16:32 03 Jun 2005

DieSse,

The free edition only updates once daily, and I have mines set to update at 17.00, when I know the P.C. is likely to be turned on.

If the update is available before this, then the posting means I have it quicker.

Totally-braindead 16:40 03 Jun 2005

Hadn't really though about it DieSse abd I suppose you're right. I've got my AVG set to automatically update but do tend to check the updates manually when I first switch on. I suppose the postings are a bit of a waste of time really but hadn't really thought about it.

DieSse 16:43 03 Jun 2005

My NOD32 checks every hour - I often get several updates in a day - I think I prefer peace of mind for minimal cost rather than free!

Alan2 18:13 03 Jun 2005

Avast also updates automatically as aften as three times in a day - and perhaps more without me being aware.

This is why there are no reminder postings for it. It is excellent too.

Snec 19:17 03 Jun 2005

You are absolutely correct. It is unnecessary but the point of it, I think, is to provide pleasure to those who post and those who respond. And it's harmless when all said and done.

sattman 19:52 03 Jun 2005

I thought it was some form of coded message!!!!!.

dagwoood 21:00 03 Jun 2005

Any anti-virus s/w is only effective if it has the latest virus definitions installed. This is the basic maxim of AV practices.

As AVG only auto updates once a day, if you don't check manually for updates, you can miss the very latest definitions that are available.

If, like today, several virus definition versions have been released, a system that only updates once a day would be vulnerable to the latest virus threats that are "doing the rounds". If you miss an auto-update "window", then your system would be running with definitions that aren't effective against the latest virus's. That's not a good scenario.

That's why I, and I assume other members, start threads about AVG updates. To let other members know there's an update available, so we can keep our AV s/w as up to date as possible, and be more pro-active in defending our systems.

dagwoood.

john-232317 22:08 03 Jun 2005

I agree dagwoood, quite often lately there have been 2 or 3 updates in a day.

Stuartli 09:20 04 Jun 2005

In full agreement with dagwood, particularly as there was a very large update yesterday, which would not have been automatically installed until this morning.

There are, as has been pointed out, very good reasons for ensuring updates are installed asap.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?