AVG updates and reboots required

Nosmas 14:36 12 Aug 2006

A few days ago I received a large update from Grisoft for my AVG Free which required a reboot to complete the update. Since then further updates have been downloaded and updated without the need for a reboot which is normal.

However on my wife's recently purchased Toshiba laptop on which I have also installed AVG Free, on the last three occasions any update has finished with a 'message balloon' on the system tray icon stating that to complete the update a reboot was required. This happened again a few minutes ago when I downloaded 268.10.9/417 which on my system didn't require a reboot.

Has anyone else experienced this behaviour, or can anyone offer a explanation?

ade.h 14:54 12 Aug 2006

There was a recent thread about this same phenomenon - can anyone with a better brain than me remember it and give a link?

I think the gist of it was that there is a setting buried somewhere that causes a reboot to be needed. This setting is obviously being triggered at some point by a large update, then stays on. Or something.

ribo 15:45 12 Aug 2006

It is in my posting. How do I give a link? J

VoG II 15:49 12 Aug 2006

Go to the thread. Highlight the address in the address bar and press CTRL + C to copy the address. Come back to this thread and in the add a new response box press CTRL + V to paste the address.

ribo 15:50 12 Aug 2006

Instead of a link,I have copied and pasted my reply to someone who had a similar problem and which cured it.See below.

Do not know if this is the answer. But if you go into the control centre. and click on update manager- properties. There are setting about starting your computer immediately etc. You could check that both computers have the same boxes ticked or unticked.
I have the pro edition,so it may be different. J

Nosmas 16:04 12 Aug 2006

Thanks for all replies. Looked in the AVG Forum and located a post giving a link to click here However a search on the laptop failed to find file WAIT4SD, but another post click here= suggested the same as ribo - i.e. to open the AVG Control Centre, double click the Update Manager and ensure the default settings are Update Immediately and Require confirmation from the user. When I looked that was NOT the laptop setting so I have changed it, but don't know why it got changed from that setting in the first place. Hope that cures the problem after the next update.

ribo 10:58 15 Aug 2006

Thanks ,I have made a note of that. J

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

Les meilleures applications pour enfants 2017