AVG updater

joelmb 10:11 21 Apr 2005

I have noticed over last month or so AVG updates itself but then flashes up 'needs to restart to complete'. It does this every day despite the usual overnight restart. Anyone know why and how to get around it?

ACOLYTE 10:23 21 Apr 2005

I have no idea why AVG does this,but i cannot remember My AVG asking for a restart in the last month,in fact i cant remember the last time it did ask to resart after an update.

Smiler 10:34 21 Apr 2005

In the AVG control centre open the update manager window by double clicking on the update manager tab. Then select the update immediately button and select one of the three choices given. Click apply.
If you want to do manual updates then open Test Centre click on edit schedule deselect "periodically check for internet up dates." Click OK then close.

joelmb 10:41 21 Apr 2005

ok thanks for that, have done, although I don't see it makes a lot of difference selecting 'finish on next restart' as that's what happens now anyway, and it still flashes up 'need to restart to complete'. I'm more confused as to why each update needs a restart.

Smiler 12:01 21 Apr 2005

I found this in the FAQ on the grisoft site (don't know if it's any good to you)

03103 Update requires restart
If the meesage appears even though you rebooted, please perform following procedure:

- find and delete the WAIT4SD file, if it is located in the AVG7 folder (ensure that showing hidden files and folders is enabled)

- go to the ...Application Data\Grisoft\Avg7data fodler and remove its content

- reboot your PC

- try to update again

If the problem stil persists, contact our technical support and send us AVGINET.LOG,UPDATE7.LOG and AVG7.LOG files. These files are located within AVG7DATA folder (and its subfolders)

Possible location of the folder depends on the operating system version:

- C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Grisoft\Avg7Data (WinXP/2000)

- C:\Windows\Application Data\Grisoft\Avg7Data (Windows 95/98/ME)

- C:\Winnt\profiles\All Users\Application Data\Grisoft\Avg7Data (NT 4.0)

Send us also version of your operating system, version of AVG and virus base

Smiler 12:03 21 Apr 2005

What op system are you running?

Smiler 12:11 21 Apr 2005

Also found this

WindowsME: When you try to update AVG you are asked for a restart everytime.

If you useing the Microsoft WindowsME operating system and this error message "Windows could not upgrade the file %1 from %2 %1: %2" appears after the computer restart on the black background and you have to press some key to continue booting the operating system and you can see this AVG error message "There was detected unfinished update...you have to restart..." after you log into the computer and you can see "Update unsuccessful" error message in the AVG Control Center->Update Manager, the problem is caused by the error in the WindowsME operating system. This error is described here (in english language only):

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?