AVG Update problem

benson68 19:47 04 Mar 2008

After I switch on my computer in the evening, I get a warning balloon saying that to complete the AVG update, I need to restart the computer. If I don't, strange things happen. It may only be working very slowly, or some functions don't work at all. A restart solves this, but it means starting up the computer, waiting until it's all loaded, then restarting & waiting all over again! Is there a setting in AVG that avoids this daily procedure? AVG didn't used to be like this.

Totally-braindead 19:51 04 Mar 2008

I had this once and it was solved by downloading a new copy of avg, going offline and deleting avg and reinstalling it from the download and then updating it.

I assume something had become corrupted.

g0nvs 19:57 04 Mar 2008

As Totally-braindead says. Had to do mine last week.

Totally-braindead 19:58 04 Mar 2008

It was about 4 or 5 months ago it did this to me and its been fine since I reinstalled it. I did a quick update just now and the restart thing didn't appear for me so I think your AVG is corrupted and a reinstall will solve it.

mfletch 20:15 04 Mar 2008

Try this first,

Run AVG Control Center->Update Manager->Settings->Advanced tab-> use "Delete update temporary files" button.
Reboot your PC.
Try to update again

And if it does not work you can download a new AVG and when you double click on the download you can choose to repair your AVG

benson68 20:00 05 Mar 2008

Found update manager. The setting was for "update upon next computer restart" so I changed it to "immediate".
Couldn't find any mention of "delete temporary files" though.
If this doesn't work, I'll try totally-braindead's idea.
Thanks folks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?