avg update help i

patso 22:15 05 Jun 2008

I am trying to update my avg free version ,the box is greyed out and tells me new update ready,when i click check for updates is tells me Update can not be started again as it is already nning?any ideas i m=am using free version 7.5.524 any ideas please,

MAT ALAN 22:25 05 Jun 2008

click here

you will need to update to AVG8 FREE....

anchor 19:36 06 Jun 2008

I still have 7.5 on my notebook, and it updated as normal this evening.

patso 22:43 06 Jun 2008

thanks i downloaded the latest version its scanning now and seems to have found loads of issues,spyware and trojans the other prog didnt find.it is taking a very long time to scan ,i will post back when the full scan is done and see what the results are,i might have to roll back if there is any problems,thanks again for the replies,i will leave this post open for the moment

Sea Urchin 23:16 06 Jun 2008

AVG 8 will throw up a large number of "warnings" as you describe which can be ignored - you need only take note/action of actual "threats" at the end of the scan.

patso 22:01 07 Jun 2008

okthanks again it found a lot of stuff including a couple of trojans which it removed,i ran another two scans again.the first one found 2 more trojans and removed them and the second was clear,i am running another on the external hard drive and hope it will be clear,it seems to take longer than the old prog to scan,maybe because it scans for malware now?thanks again for the replies will post back on the hard drive result

provider 2 22:44 07 Jun 2008

click here

1319 SpywareBlaster and Spybot incompatibility.

patso 14:47 08 Jun 2008

i found nothing on the rescan what do i do about the conflicts with spybot and adaware do i now not use spybot and adaware as i have been using them ever since i got my pc and find them both great progs any ideas please as the new version of avg seems to be creating more problems with other progs,how do you stay protected as there was no probs with the previous avg prog

cocteau48 15:16 08 Jun 2008

patso
AVG will continue to support their 7.5 version until 31/12/2008 so you have until then to decide whether to go for AVG8 Free or change to another program.

provider 2 15:29 08 Jun 2008

AVG `s explanation is: "To assure protection provided by AVG Free against these threats, it is not possible to remove such signatures from AVG Free virus bases. "

In plain language this means AVG has no intention of changing anything. If you want to continue using SpywareBlaster and Spybot (Teatimer function), then you will have this problem permanently in AVG 8.0

No such problems with Avast!however.

click here

patso 15:42 08 Jun 2008

thanks again in laymans terms does this mean real time protection cant be used uin therse progs or can you just update them then manually scan with them?and do you recommend change to avast,how does avast compare to spybot cheers provider 2 and cocteau for the info and thanks again for the help

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?