avg update & boot failure

jake2 18:34 19 Jan 2008

Strange one this.
Parents pc developed a hardware fault some time back and refused to boot up. Was taken to a local pc shop and they sorted the issue and during the rebuid installed avg from a disc.
Ever since then whenever they update avg the pc refuses to boot up and will only boot if restored to a point before the update.
Also the error message:
Keyhook.exe-entry point not found
The procedure entry point? read key [email protected]@@ (etc etc etc)could not be located in the dynamic link library SISBASE.dll

Now cannot update AVG
Cannot remove AVG (NO SUCH FILE OR DIRECTORY)
Looks like part of it has been removed and has left remnants?
Are these things connected and it is AVG that is causing the problem?
What is keyhook.exe?
How can I completely remove all avg components and reinstall them? (removal utility?)
Any advice appreciated.

hiwatt 18:50 19 Jan 2008

I would try uninstalling avg in safe mode and do a search for avg and delete all that it finds.Then re download avg from the internet and update it.It might be better to download it first and save it to a folder while you still have protection though.

mfletch 18:54 19 Jan 2008

1. Download the latest AVG Free installation package
2. Run the AVG Free install file
3. Choose the Uninstall option and follow the setup wizard, when you get to the part to remove user settings, select it.
4. Restart your computer then...
5. Now reinstall AVG using the setup file you got in step 1 and update it.

mfletch

hiwatt 18:54 19 Jan 2008

Also run ccleaner click here(registry) this will get rid of any bits that have been left over.

jake2 20:29 19 Jan 2008

Thanks, for that mfletch thats exactly what I did, AVG is working fine now (doing a full scan as I type this) ran cc aswell just to be sure.
But the keyhook.exe error message is still coming up, any ideas where to start trying to correct that?

SANTOS7 20:35 19 Jan 2008

click here

this may help...

mfletch 12:30 20 Jan 2008

SiS Windows KeyHook" can run at start up. SIS graphics cards related: "Super VGA Keyboard Daemon"

mfletch

jake2 19:38 28 Jan 2008

Ok I downloaded the registry cleaner and ran it (over 1000 reg errors recorded and fixed!)
But the keyhook reg problem is still there on boot up.
Whats next to try?

jake2 19:07 01 Feb 2008

Anybody?

mfletch 19:20 01 Feb 2008

Not sure of a fix but it maybe a driver problem for Super VGA Keyboard Daemon?

jake2 16:41 02 Feb 2008

How would I check that and correct it if it was?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?