AVG - Trojan Horse - 'ocpinst'

daniellabell 15:47 21 Apr 2010

Hello, I'm wondering if someone could please help,

I have notice on my laptop today that the usual AVG scan which normally comes back ok had found a few items.
The infections are:
c:\HP\HPQWare\aim_icq\triton_en_gb\ocpinst.exe
There are 12 of these with very similar names to this with the only differences being something on the end of this name such as :\ns_00360 and variations of this.
The type says: Trojan horse Generic17.BDGV for all of them.

I immediately went to do the normal 'remove all unhealed infections' but an AVG message says 'moved object is bigger than the archives size limit'.

So when I press go to file it takes me to a file named 'ocpinst', the properties come up as AOL Open Client Platform/Execution Environment and is 5.09mb.

Looking on the internet a few things says its not a harmful file but I am just unsure why AVG would suddenly pick this up as being harmful. I am particularly concerned as I have a lot of final year uni work on my computer (which I have backed up) but really could do without my laptop being infected at this important time.

I would appreciate anyones thoughts on this matter.

Danielleabell

daniellabell 17:55 21 Apr 2010

Sorry, just to add to my previous post as I stupidly didn't really ask a question!

What I would like to know is whether it is necessary for me to delete these 12 files or are they important and should be kept on my computer?

birdface 18:04 21 Apr 2010

Quarantine them.
Always better to quarantine them in case they are false positives.
That way you can always restore them again.

G4V1N 19:08 21 Apr 2010

I use a anti-virus programm called Avast.

I have always used it for the time i have had a computer. It is compleatly FREE you can get it at click here. I swear by it as it is better than the previous ones i have used.

All you have to do is to tell it to regester and away you go

it will then tell you if the files that have got viruses in them it will move it to chest and because itr is in the chest it will still be able to boot up and it will not infect any other files you have on your system.

It updates about 4 times a day to keep you fully protected..

Your Welcome

G4V1N

daniellabell 20:07 21 Apr 2010

Thank you very much for your advice. Unfortunately I was not able to move the files anywhere because the file was too large it said.
However, I will have a look at installing this alternative anti virus.

Thanks for your help.

Danielleabell

G4V1N 16:03 23 Apr 2010

Also use Malwarebytes as well but get the free version

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?