AVG Toolbar

aitch2 17:12 16 May 2008

Have been using the AVG8 for the last few weeks but is there any way i can remove the AVG Toolbar? I've looked but cannot seem to find anything in the 'help' or on the AVG site. Thanks
Aitch

GANDALF <|:-)> 17:16 16 May 2008

On the AVG site :-) click here

PC Usah 17:42 16 May 2008

Have recently upgraded AVG 7.5 Free Edition to AVG 8.0 Free Edition and there are a few conflicts worth noting:

(Running Windows XP Professional SP3, upgraded from XP Home SP2 recently, no problems following that event.)

1) Windows Defender no longer allowed to install its updates before scheduled scan - I uninstalled Windows Defender as there is now anti-spyware in AVG 8.0 Free Edition.

2) Does not apparently auto update at specific time set daily (8:00am), but does respond to manual 'Update Now'. This appears to be quite a common failing.

3) Does not allow Windows Update to install fetched updates - especially Malicious Software Removal Tool - May. Will be seeing if this will install at close down instead, otherwise despite higher service packs being mentioned in the AVG 8.0 Free Edition Manual as being supported, it doesn't appear so in this case.

If anyone can throw any light on the above I would be grateful - do feel it is a more thorough utility, notwithstanding these teething problems.

jaritch 18:10 16 May 2008

aitch 2
It wont uninstall it but you can hide it. View ... toolbars ... untick the AVG toolbar.

GANDALF <|:-)> 18:27 16 May 2008

Download AVG8 and save. Disconnect from t'internet and uninstall AVG8. Reinstall and make sure that you untick the toolbar box when AVG loads.

Steve

aitch2 18:35 16 May 2008

Gandalf: thanks for the help but the link to faq-1066 does not work; gets me onto the AVG site but no amount of searching will bring up the 1066.

PC Usah: I'm running Win HomeXP SP3, and haven't had any problems. I did an update for the malicious Software Removal Tool today and have had no problems or conflicts. Don't use 'auto updates' as I check every couple of days.

Jaritch: Thanks, just what I need, found it very irritating!
Aitch

cocteau48 21:41 16 May 2008

PC Usah
I had the same scenario regarding the installing of MS auto updates.
Gave Dial-a-fix click here
a run through this morning and the MS Update site subsequently installed the latest Windows Defender definitions update no probs.
I had already installed the Malicious Software Removal Tool from MajorGeeks but am hoping that Dial-a-fix has "fixed" that too!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?