Avg stopped working

hiwatt 18:13 19 Apr 2008

Hi folks,my computer's been behaving strange over the last couple of days.When starting up avg no longer starts.I get an application error saying the application failed to initialise properly,click ok to terminate it.It says windows caused a problem to stop the program working correctly.This happens even when I open avg up manually.At start upI get a message saying windows has bloked programs from starting.It seems to be macrovision updater.I've tried reinstalling avg an all went well but the next day when I booted up it wouldn't start again.I haven't got any anti virus protection so all help much appreciated.Thanks.P.s windows vista.

alan2273 23:44 19 Apr 2008

Give Avast a try, it is as good as AVG.

click here

bluesbrother 00:26 20 Apr 2008

Don't know if this is related.
(from Grisoft click here ) 'Repetitive EXCEPTION error after the last AVG update'
If that doesn't help you could allways contact their Tech Support click here

johnnyrocker 08:18 20 Apr 2008

uninstall and reinstall?

johnny

hiwatt 12:41 20 Apr 2008

Hi folks,I tried uninstalling/reinstalling to no avail.When booting up I get a blocked programs message.When I click on show blocked programs it shows avg,macrovision update service and HD audio as being "not yet classified" while the rest are all "permited".I had created an administrator account as per click here but done a system restore to before it but still getting same problems?Any ideas please?Thanks.

hiwatt 13:03 20 Apr 2008

I just done a repair install of avg and it installed but with 5 warnings saying registry key failed and the name of the user account.It also said there is other anti virus software installed and advised not to install but there isn't any other installed.It's very strange.

hiwatt 18:14 21 Apr 2008

This was to do with enabling UAC in windows vista.With UAC disabled,avg starts normally(and so do the other blocked programs)I'm still unable to create another user account using an administrator account though.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires