AVG still the best?

maltose 15:04 27 Feb 2011

Years ago the good members of this site recommended me to AVG anti spyware and C Cleaner. I feel secure with both but AVG does dominate my PC at start up and its daily scan time. Are these free softwares still the best? I note that other mal ware, -anti virus etc, pieces of software are now being mentioned.

bremner 15:06 27 Feb 2011

Gave up with AVG a while ago, much prefer MSE click here

maltose 15:11 27 Feb 2011

Hey Bremner thank you the site looks good. I will wait a while before changing but I like the provenance.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:18 27 Feb 2011

MSE or AVAST click here

maltose 15:24 27 Feb 2011

My this is getting interesting AVAST certainly claims to be the market leader thanks Fruit Bat /\0/\

ACOLYTE 15:27 27 Feb 2011

I have used avast for years and it really is a good product,i highly recommend it.I also have windows Defender,but i have turned this off,i have comodo firewall that has pro active security that includes malware protection,all these are free products and work well together.

bremner 15:30 27 Feb 2011

This test site click here rated them with an identical score in December. It very much comes down to personal choice.

bremner 15:33 27 Feb 2011

BTW - The test rates impact on system performance not ability to detect malware.

maltose 15:35 27 Feb 2011

Welcome and thank you Acolyte - I note you have AVAST and another's firewall. AVG includes firewall does AVAST? thanks Bremner yes I had read the report, accessed from AVAST's site.

ACOLYTE 15:45 27 Feb 2011

I use Avast for the virus software,you can get a firewall version but this is not in the free version.

cocteau48 16:11 27 Feb 2011

I used AVG for years until AVG9 came along,with various problems,most of which they blamed on compatibility issues with ZoneAlarm.
I tried MSE as a replacement which seemed to work OK but just did not seem to inspire confidence ,maybe I'm just anti Microsoft products.

I then installed Avast/Comodo firewall on my XP machine and Avast/ZoneAlarm firewall on my Vista laptop.
Both combinations work beautifully and I remain very impressed with Avast particularly its automatic definitions update every few hours.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone