AVG Scan Result

SURVEY 10:05 13 Apr 2007

I have just carried out a scan of my computer. AVG reports no threats but noted under the Virus Result tab the following:

C:\Windows\system32\user32.dll
C:\Windows\system32\shell32.dll
C:\Windows\system32\ntosknl.exe

In the Result column each says 'Change'. In the Status column each says 'Changed'.

What are these items. Do they need removing? Has AVG quarantined them or changed them somehow or what? Can anyone help?

Diemmess 10:15 13 Apr 2007

I think AVG is simply recording that these fairly critical files have changed. Changes do take place in Windows by merely using it.

Certainly don't even think of deletion, they are working normally.

Technotiger 10:26 13 Apr 2007

Hi, I agree with Diemmess, it is perfectly normal behavior, no need to do anything about it at all.

Trackrat 10:29 13 Apr 2007

It is normal that AVG shows that files, the MBR or Boot record to have changed. These are done during normal maintainance, when you or windows updates files or have had to correct errors on the drive. The only time that you should worry is if they also show as infected.

To get AVG to quit showing them as changed, open the AVG Test Center, click the F3 key on your keyboard and tell it to accept the changes. If it still shows something as changed after this.. delete the file named AVG7QT.DAT in C:\ and AVG will rebuild it the next time it is run.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Les meilleures tablettes 2017