AVG Regstration

SURVEY 17:06 29 Jan 2006

On a laptop that I rarely use I had Norton Antivirus 2002 loaded. On advice from this forum, I have removed this using Add/Remove etc. I have loaded AVG free successfully and carried out a full scan plus been able to download latest updates.

I am unable to Register only getting a screen message stating 'fatal error - cannot redeclare/regform_load_and_validate' I believe that with the free edition one cannot register - is this correct? If not, what has gone wrong? Help please.

Totally-braindead 17:22 29 Jan 2006

Double check that it is this one click here that you have downloaded, it sounds to me like you have downloaded the pay for one by mistake.

SURVEY 17:35 29 Jan 2006

No, I have downloaded the Free Version. I note that on the AVG Forum there is a similar quetion and the suggetsion was that all Cookies and the Browser caches are deleted. Trouble is there was no further thread to know if this worked!! I have now deleted all temporary internet files. Any other suggestions please?

Totally-braindead 17:38 29 Jan 2006

Only other idea is download AVG again, delete the AVG you have on the PC, reinstall from the new download and try that.

Meshuga 18:09 29 Jan 2006

I have been having the same problems as SURVEY and getting the same suggestions to resolve it, none of which work. The program runs ok but without being able to register you cannot use the AVG forums, which seem to be the only source of question and answer support.

SURVEY 18:17 29 Jan 2006

I have just followed totally-braindead's advice and uninstalled and reinstalled but the problem is the same. As you say everything else works but it is really annoying when links do not seem to work. Having come away from Norton AV on this machine (which always worked efficiently, albeit it slowly) one wonders if one has made the right choice! Still I guess it is free, seems to operate smoothly, and I only hope as efficient as the Norton AV!

I will tick the box but if anyone has any thoughts on how to ergister, please let me know.

Halmer 18:24 29 Jan 2006

I've done the same as you this weekend. My Norton AV was due to expire at the end of Feb so I bit the bullet and installed Zone Alarm and AVG. Considering they are free they are excellent. i have used them both for years on my old PC.

I too cannot register the AVG product though although to be honest so I'm not that fussed.

Looking at the error mesage though indicates that I must have registered some time in the past and it wont let me again.

Fatal error: Cannot redeclare regform_load_and_validate() (previously declared in /home/grisoft/free.20050514/engine/engine_register.php:51) in /home/grisoft/free.20050514/engine/engine_register.php on line 49

SURVEY 18:51 29 Jan 2006

Good (or perhaps not so good!)to know that several of us have found the same glitch in the AVG Registration process. It would be helpful is a registered paid user could post the query to Grisoft and come back with an answer to us all.

My old laptop is on Window 98 and I need some more protection. I presently have Spybot and Adaware. Should I also have ZoneAlarm; any other suggestions?

Halmer 19:14 29 Jan 2006

AVG is only anti-virus so i would suggest that you have Zone Alarm or some other firewall as well.

Following advice received on here I also have Spywareblaster which stops spyware getting on in the first place.

I have these and the same as you and touch wood have been OK with sensible surfing.

Halmer 19:15 29 Jan 2006
  Halmer 19:17 29 Jan 2006

Lol - "It would be helpful is a registered paid user could post the query to Grisoft and come back with an answer to us all".

I like your style!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?