AVG and Redirectingat .com

spuds 11:18 09 Dec 2010

Over the past few days after a complete reformat of XP, I tend to get a number of redirections of webpages via IE8.

On taking this a step further, it would appear that AVG might have something to do with this, and a possible remedy is via the URL Error Redirection in the toolbar.

When the webpage is being redirected, it usually states http;//redirectingat. com then a error DNS/404 REDIRECT message appears, and a statement that the webpage cannot be found. Retry or retype the URL.

Have you experienced this problem?.

jolorna 11:46 09 Dec 2010

I had this problem with xp home sp3 IE8 using avast, i did post on the forum about it, it ended up hosts file being the problem, which the December 04 version cured it, but i had to uninstall the old hosts file using microsftfixit 50267 to uninstall the old hosts file hope this helps

birdface 11:57 09 Dec 2010

Redirectingat .com is also a program used by PCA and they would not use it if it would cause trouble.

spuds 11:59 09 Dec 2010

Thanks for that info, but did you find that it only occurs at certain times. Since making this post I have tried a number of other web-sites, and some give the error and others connect okay.

Would mention that when I reformatted, I used SP2 then uprated to SP3 via the internet.

When you say you used Microsoftfixit 50267, was this a simple download and correction?.

birdface 12:02 09 Dec 2010

If you post on this site or click on a click here and you are fast enough look at the address bar and it should say Redirectingat.com.
Well it used to but I am not sure if it still does.

birdface 12:04 09 Dec 2010

Maybe try Command prompt and type in ipconfig /flushdns then press the enter key on the keypad.
it should tell you that the DNS cache has been flushed.
If so reboot and see if it is any better.

spuds 12:05 09 Dec 2010

I posted a question yesterday regarding problems that I was having with the PCA website and possible tweaking. I was getting a number of server overload messages, plus larger advertising and blocking interruptions, which made me suspect that some tweaking had gone on.The FE as mentioned that some website 'surprises' are in the offering?.

I am now beginning to wonder if all the problems are heading to a one issue?.

jolorna 12:05 09 Dec 2010

if you look at the pc advisor home page at the bottom of it you will see the download for it & then run it which will clear the old hosts file, the problem i had was created by the october & november hosts file & was rectified in the december one but if your not using click here then it might not help you, all im saying it was the cause of my problem in the end

jolorna 12:10 09 Dec 2010

a link to my posting click here

spuds 16:00 09 Dec 2010

I think that I have enough information on this, and how to go forward with it.

Will tick as resolved.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?