AVG Real time scanning?

handful 10:36 03 Apr 2004

My IT manager has given me a file to test if my AVG AV is offering real time protection. I was concerned when it doesn't seem to pick up on the suspect file that this is supposed to look like.

Does AVG offer adequate protection these days or is it time to spend money on one of the more well known names?

BTW,the test file mentioned above is called
EICAR-STANDARD-ANTIVIRUS-TEST-FILE

Indigo 1 11:11 03 Apr 2004

Is the version of AVG fully up to date ?

If it is, I would suspect you may be right.

I noticed that the AVG site has become extremely busy lately, as soon as an update is available people overload their servers with update requests and quite often you can't get through. So I downloaded Avast for a friends PC that I was working on and found it to be very good.

I am sure that the subsription based AVG will be a little better than the freebie though.

Belatucadrus 11:12 03 Apr 2004

Somethings definately wrong as AVG picks up eicar, check here to confirm that the eicar file is valid click here any mistakes in the code line will render it useless.

VoG II 11:14 03 Apr 2004

This has been raised before. Just because AVG does not react to EICAR (which is NOT a virus) does not mean that it won't stop real viruses.

click here

fsbb 13:33 03 Apr 2004

I have used eicar test code many time with AVG with 100% detection.

Does AVG detect it via manual scan of the file?

As Belatucadrus said any error in the script would render it useless.

Â ÑÌÇKÑÂMË 13:43 03 Apr 2004

Avg finds eicar for me it doesnt even let me dload it pops up as soon as i click the link.

Regards.

PurplePenny 13:50 03 Apr 2004

As all the others have said AVG spots EICAR for me, both in an e-mail and in a scan. Gave me a fright the other day when it screamed "VIRUS" at me during the daily scan - I'd been copying EICAR to test another machine and had forgotten to delete it.

The paid for version of AVG doesn't have the download congestion problems of the free version.

Mango Grummit 13:53 03 Apr 2004

EICAR is not a virus and has been said on here many times before -- it is not a very good test as it proves nothing either way.

AVG does not do Real Time scanning btw, in answer to your question.

M

Â ÑÌÇKÑÂMË 13:56 03 Apr 2004

My AVG does real time scanning in both windows shell extension and resident shield,and im sure most other peoples does it as well.

Regards.

Mango Grummit 14:07 03 Apr 2004

If you'd like to test it then get someone to email you a zipped virus and see if AVG picks it up.

I think it won't .... but I may be wrong.

M

Â ÑÌÇKÑÂMË 14:36 03 Apr 2004

Well the eicar one should be a good test if anyone wants to give it ago,im confident it will find it.Its found other viri in emails so i dont think eicar should be much different.

Regards.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?